IRS Upgrade List

SlowSVT

Established Member
Sure it'll be simple, the pumpkin will be out by itself with the rear subframe still in place. Same way I R&R'd the unit when I fortified the chunk.

Just pull'N you leg man :beer:

Looks good Jafe. Nothing better than a tight suspension. I don't recall if you modded your steering gear but it's a good idea to get some of the slop out of there if you haven't done so already. Nothing more fun than a car that can pull G :burnout:

Jefe

Established Member
Looks good Jafe. Nothing better than a tight suspension. I don't recall if you modded your steering gear but it's a good idea to get some of the slop out of there if you haven't done so already. Nothing more fun than a car that can pull G :burnout:
Thanks! Ya I noticed how much play there is in the wheel now. I can move it almost an inch before the wheels move with it. Recommendation?

LPW says add an extra pint to the diff with this cover. I put 2 quarts in and it registered on the allen wrench with the diff tipped foward a bit out of the car. I went to check it installed in the car and almost a half pint poured out the fill plug. How is that possible? I now have like 3.5 pints in there.

I had gotten used to correcting the wheel and turning into a slide in 1st gear. The car stays so straight now. Kind of boring haha but Ill get used to it.

Only downside so far is that I have more rattles in the rear speaker deck(no seats) over rough roads. Need to sound deaden that some more

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Clearly need to spend more time on your site!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Based on the pics you sent, your excessive negative front camber is because you have the upper plates reversed.

Yours are set "Inboard", you want them "Outboard".

You gotta' read this stuff when you do the work:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Assets/install/pdf/front_susp/MMCC0304.pdf

MMBearingplatescopy_zps48314a79.jpg

SlowSVT

Established Member
Thanks! Ya I noticed how much play there is in the wheel now. I can move it almost an inch before the wheels move with it. Recommendation?

LPW says add an extra pint to the diff with this cover. I put 2 quarts in and it registered on the allen wrench with the diff tipped foward a bit out of the car. I went to check it installed in the car and almost a half pint poured out the fill plug. How is that possible? I now have like 3.5 pints in there.

I had gotten used to correcting the wheel and turning into a slide in 1st gear. The car stays so straight now. Kind of boring haha but Ill get used to it.

Only downside so far is that I have more rattles in the rear speaker deck(no seats) over rough roads. Need to sound deaden that some more

I would go to MM for a solid steering shaft and aluminum rack bushings. Moog makes HD tie rod ends and ball joints over the "zero friction" factory joints :bored:

TierodendsMustangOEMandMoog2.jpg

TierodendsMustangOEMandMoog1.jpg

Yea there not much room for oil in the pumpkin. This is one of the main reason I plumbed it for a diff cooler.

Jefe

Established Member
Based on the pics you sent, your excessive negative front camber is because you have the upper plates reversed. Yours are set "Inboard", you want them "Outboard".
I went over this twice when I installed them and made sure I had them correct. Ill pop the hood and double check thanks
I would go to MM for a solid steering shaft and aluminum rack bushings. Moog makes HD tie rod ends and ball joints over the "zero friction" factory joints :bored:
Ya have the alum rack bushings as well steeda tie rod ends with X2 ball joints up front

SlowSVT

Established Member
Ya have the alum rack bushings as well steeda tie rod ends with X2 ball joints up front

Do you still have the rag joint in the steering shaft? That's where a lot of the "sponginess" in the steering wheel comes from.

Jefe

Established Member
I do ya. Replaced the rack after a boot leaked probably 4 years ago.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I account 70% of my increased steering feel to MM's solid steering shaft. I can't remember if i did the steering rack bushings at the same time or not right now but i know when i did the solid shaft it was WOW! feeling is tight as a tiger now!

Jefe

Established Member
I may do that later this year then.

So...no more clunk and no more wheel hop. I have tested some of the roughest roads I can find and its gone. These are roads I haven't gone WOT on in 5 years. Unbelievable!

Users who are viewing this thread