IRS travel question

KCRN12

Established Member
I did the IRS swap on my 98, but now I have traction issues. For instance, if I'm goin out an exit from a parking lot that has much of a slope, at all, then when the rear end is straddling the "peak" I lose traction and spin. Every single time. Does anyone else have this issue? I also have MM coil overs on bilstein HDs, and the ride height set to about a 1.6" drop.

I've also noticed that when I jack up the front end to do an oil change, by the time I get, let's say the front left tire, a couple inches off the ground, the back left tire is off the ground, too. I never had either of these issues with the SRA. Anyone else have these same issues? And in case you're wondering, all the control arm bushings are stock. I put polyurethane in the 4 subframe mounts and the diff mounts, but the control arms are still stock. Any ideas?

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
sounds weird.. how are your tires? I actually noticed a great increase in traction coming out of corners, bumps, etc. Always sticks to the ground way way more compared to the SRA.

KCRN12

Established Member
there is alot more play in the sra, the irs is limited because of the a arms, just different driving technique.

Ok, that's kinda what I was thinking, it just seemed odd to me. I've never driven a terminator. I wonder if they act the same way. I was also thinking it may be partially due to the coil overs, because when there's a decent amount of travel, the springs wind up being completely extended. For instance, if I jack up the rear end, I can use a pry bar to push the control arm down, more, and the spring will slide up and down on the shock, freely. (and yes, I do have the right springs. I called MM and talked to them about what length/rate I should get.)

Dutch... I completely agree about the overal traction improvement in corners and typical driving. I also agree about the huge improvement in ride quality. The only time I have the traction issue is when the rear suspension is "flexed" as they call it in the 4x4 world. And it's not a tire issue. The tires are 275 KDWs with 80% tread left.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
The issue is most likely your coilovers not pushing the control arms far enough downward thus causing you to lose contact force to the ground.

KCRN12

Established Member
The issue is most likely your coilovers not pushing the control arms far enough downward thus causing you to lose contact force to the ground.

That's what I was worried about. I was hoping I would be something I could fix without goin back to standard coil springs. Oh well. I like the rest of the advantages of the cool overs too much to make me get rid of em. I mainly wanted to find out if it was just the coil overs or if the standard IRS setups had the same issues. Thanks for the info, guys. Guess it's just something I'll have to live with.

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
I have stock coils in place and have the same issue of driveways, your arms can only move so much or should i say the limit body twist, sra do not have as much restriction due to its length of movement and size, and the rear sway bar fights the twist alot more on irs than the sra. I like the fact i can change both tires on one side at the same time with ease compared to the sra.

KCRN12

Established Member
I have stock coils in place and have the same issue of driveways, your arms can only move so much or should i say the limit body twist, sra do not have as much restriction due to its length of movement and size, and the rear sway bar fights the twist alot more on irs than the sra. I like the fact i can change both tires on one side at the same time with ease compared to the sra.

Good to know. Thanks. I definitely wouldn't ever swap it back to the SRA unless I was gonna do drag racing with stupid high hp. I love the IRS.

Users who are viewing this thread