IRS to solid axle swap questions...

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
So I have a 99 Cobra convertible, and will soon be swapping rear ends with a local guy that has a 97 Cobra. I've done a lot of searching on this, but still have a couple questions. I placed this thread in this forum because I figure more people with Terminators have done IRS to solid axle swaps than people who normally hang out in the New Edge forums.

Anyway, I would like to know what most people did with their brakes during a swap. It looks like the easiest way to do it is for me to keep my current rotors, calipers and brake lines and re-install those onto the solid axle once it is in my car.

Is this what others have found to be the easiest way to handle the brakes during the swap? Can I keep my current brake lines and complete brake setup and transfer that onto the solid axle? Any potential pitfalls concerning the brakes?

Another question I have is about the driveshafts. I have read in my searching that some people keep their original pinion flange so that it matches up with their original driveshaft. Does this apply to my situation? I have the T45 tranny and so does the other guy. Will my driveshaft hook up just fine from my tranny to his pinion flange on the solid axle?

Thanks for your time and help!

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Only the 03/4 Cobra's have different sized pinion flange. All the other v8 mustangs/cobra's have the same size.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Only the 03/4 Cobra's have different sized pinion flange. All the other v8 mustangs/cobra's have the same size.

Thanks CY98Cobra.

Does anyone else have any insight about the brakes? Will my whole setup easily transfer to the new setup without any hassles?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Also the calipers and rotors are the same for all Cobra's. So no real need to switch over unless the ones on the solid aren't in good shape.

You probably do need to swap brake lines. The solid axle brake lines have a distribution block on the axle (which connects to the hard line on the body via a rubber hose) and hard brake lines that run down each axle tube to the calipers.

Last edited:

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Also the calipers and rotors are the same for all Cobra's. So no real need to switch over unless the ones on the solid aren't in good shape.

You probably do need to swap brake lines. The solid axle brake lines have a distribution block on the axle (which connects to the hard line on the body via a rubber hose) and hard brake lines that run down each axle tube to the calipers.

Yeah, that was part of my concern is that the brake line setup on his car is different than my setup. I have two lines coming to the back of the car, each goes to the body just above and just in front of the axles. Then two soft lines come down to the calipers. Can I just use my current brake line setup and connect my soft lines directly to the calipers on the solid axle once it is in my car?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
This is what I'm thinking, it could be done but you would have to make sure there was enough slack in the soft brake line to keep from stretching it and causing it to rip when the axle is moving up and down. You would also have to make sure that it wasn't going to get snagged on anything. If all this checks out then it should be fine. This is just a thought though, I don't have any experience with the swap or what's involved.

I do have a buddy with an 03 who is contemplating swapping me though. He hasn't decided yet so I'm not sure about the small details.

Try doing a search. Someone had a writeup about the swap if I remember correctly.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
postban said:
;-) gulp a blue pill

Yeah, I've read through your write up several times before. Excellent write up and lots of great info :rockon:

So, am I right in thinking that I can unbolt my calipers, undo the ebrake cable, zip tie them up and out of the way. Then after I put the solid axle in, the calipers will just bolt right back onto the axle housing, and there will be no interferences or issues with the brake lines?

Thanks a lot for the help.

GTE

Established Member
I swapped mine for a 98 Cobras and all I needed was different ABS sensors & that was it. The rear rotors are the same & the E brake works fine also.

Actually it was a way easier mod then the IRS bushings were.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
GTE said:
I swapped mine for a 98 Cobras and all I needed was different ABS sensors & that was it. The rear rotors are the same & the E brake works fine also.

Actually it was a way easier mod then the IRS bushings were.

Cool, that is just what I want to hear. :banana: We are planning on swapping the ABS sensors and wires. By that, I mean that I will unplug my ABS sensors from the connection under the back seat, and those sensors, wires and plugs will go with my IRS into his car. And he does the same with his sensors, wires and plugs. Then I just plug in his electrical ABS setup under my back seat along with his solid axle.

Users who are viewing this thread