Irs Swap

white97

Established Member
i am looking to see if any one is interested in doing a swap i have a 97 cobra rear end with 410 gears and MM panhard bar. if any one is interested let me know. all new bearing put in about 5k ago as one went bad and put all new in. since gear install about 20k on rear end. if any one is interested let me know thaks.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
IMO, this rearend would look goofy under a new edge because it's not as wide as the '99 up rearends in the GT's.

Anyway, just a heads up.

wallie40

Established Member
As long as you run a spacer or a offset rim no one will no the difference. Oliver(quadcammer) runs the 94-98 Solid in his car with a spacer I believe.

wallie40

Established Member
01rdcobra said:
man i wish you were local
How much are you willing to spend. I am thinking about selling my live axle and put back in my IRS. PM me if interested. Sorry to thread jack.:beer:

white97

Established Member
01 Cobra said:
i've got the irs with 4.10s out of my car if your interested.

very interested. as for the spacing thing i already have offsets rims and like stated earlier i can always put spacers in.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
white97 said:
very interested. as for the spacing thing i already have offsets rims and like stated earlier i can always put spacers in.

They are talking about the 94-98 solid axle in a 99+. 99+ mustangs are wider in the rear so they use a wider rear end than the 94-98's.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
01trublue cobra said:
I have a 97 Cobra rearend and theres no noticeable difference. I also Have 315's in the back.

I have a 97 Cobra rear end in mine. In my opinion, the 3/4" narrower rear end is ideal if you are going to run wider tires. I have 1/4" spacers with 315s on 10.5" rims. The fit with this setup is perfect. The wheels and tires are still tucked in under the fenders and there is no rubbing anywhere.

Whoever you swap with will run into the problems of lower control arm bolt sizes. The pre-99s use smaller control arm bolts than 99+ rears.
There are two solutions around this:
1. Use the pre-99 lower control arms in the 99/01 Cobra and either drill out the sleeves in the front bushings to fit the bigger bolts, or swap in new 99+ front lower control arm bushings.
2. Use 99+ control arms and bolts in the 99/01 Cobra, and drill out the holes in the axle housing to fit the bigger bolts.

I chose option 2 while upgrading to MM heavy-duty LCAs.

Users who are viewing this thread