IRS swap regrets? if any?

WhtSuperStang

Established Member
To all those that have done an IRS swap...have you had any regrets? Im toying around with the idea to do this but im not sure if its just impulse cuz im bored or if i really want a smoother riding cobra?

currently I have a built solid.

would this hurt potential resale?

Quin

Established Member
I definitely wouldn't buy an SN95 Cobra with an IRS, and removing it will be one of my first mods if/when I get an 03-04.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
i love my IRS. yeah, it sucks for drag racing, but i dont do much of that with this car anymore as it is mostly just my daily driver.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I dont think it would be bad for resale, it prob. be a plus, smoother ride on test drives, most guys dont care enough abuot drag racing to see an IRS to be an issue

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Yea, I have one big ass regret about my IRS, the fact that the carrier bearings are going to shit in it:nonono:

Other then that I got nothing...love the smoother ride, the wider rear track, and the way the exhaust looks from the back...pure tits!

Four cam slam

Bacon Enthusiast
Established Member
Best mod on my car!!!!!!

Irs takes your car to whole new level......Looks awsome with exhaust routing,
anyone who swaps in a stick axle is on crack. I run easy 1.72s 60 foots on mine......all day long.:banana:

poniesviii

never finished
Established Member
Judging by your overall statements and the fact you have no track times listed, I would assume yes, you would be happy with IRS. I do not have experience with IRS in a cobra though.

If you have IRS and want to drag race, you can build it up with Delrin bushings and braces to make it just as good as a solid axle car at the track, while outperforming any solid axle car on the street. If anybody wants to disagree with me, I'm not up for the debate. I'm not biased towards anything without learning about it first. I'm definately biased towards IRS. I don't think I would enjoy another car without it. It's like buying a car without power windows after you've experienced them. It just feels cheap. Then again I'm not a drag racing guy, either. If I was, I may want the cheaper results of the solid axle. They ARE abundant, and don't need as much cash into them to perform at the strip. I'm not saying they perform better at the track. But dollar for dollar strip performance, yes they do perform better at the strip.

If you like curvy roads, it's added confidence and alot more fun. The tires stay planted on the road better while the car is experiencing body roll.

Last edited:

WhtSuperStang

Established Member
well i have gone to the track and have made a lot of passes in this car..i kinda stopped going after dishing out the money when my trans and rear end blew up in the same year... I kinda grew old of the idea of track times and like just cruising in it and womping on it every now and again.

I have someone interested in a trade for my solid but its a stock 03 IRS w. 3.55 and bassani exh.and dif brace. Im just not looking forward to losing my 4.10's

also im not sure what this will truely do to resale ...id like to keep the car for a long time but sometimes life doesnt let you do things like that and you gotta be practical

BraMas

Established Member
One of my favorite mods so far. I go to the track with it all the time with it and it does just fine. Do it!!!!!!

venomous99

Established Member
really ur decision should be based on how your stang is driven such as whether its more of a street car or if its more for drag racing. if for street and u like the smooth ride of an IRS id say go for an IRS but if you're one that goes to the strip occasionally and does not mind the SLA quirks id say go for the solid.

here is some motivation for u to go w/ an IRS. gotta love how the pipes look back there. keep in mind w/ the IRS you'll be pushing out the wheels by 3/4" so you'll have to rethink the t ype of wheel combo you'd typically go w/ on a sn95. ive found the 10" wide wheels w/ 22mm offset work perfect. its what i run on my 97. a 10.5" wheel would be an extremely tight fit as youd be adding more width on the inside and may run into interference w/ the IRS bolt.
DSCN2116.jpg

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
really ur decision should be based on how your stang is driven such as whether its more of a street car or if its more for drag racing. if for street and u like the smooth ride of an IRS id say go for an IRS but if you're one that goes to the strip occasionally and does not mind the SLA quirks id say go for the solid.

here is some motivation for u to go w/ an IRS. gotta love how the pipes look back there. keep in mind w/ the IRS you'll be pushing out the wheels by 3/4" so you'll have to rethink the t ype of wheel combo you'd typically go w/ on a sn95. ive found the 10" wide wheels w/ 22mm offset work perfect. its what i run on my 97. a 10.5" wheel would be an extremely tight fit as youd be adding more width on the inside and may run into interference w/ the IRS bolt.
DSCN2116.jpg

All good points to consider and you have a great looking Cobra:rockon: I added a panhard bar and MM lower control arms to my SRA and while it improved performance it doesn't have the street or cornering manners that I want so I am picking up a 99 IRS and it will be getting Bruce's bushing kit, new 31 spline axles and carrier. When you mentioned the wheels you got me thinking. I have 95R's widened to 17x11" with 315/35/17's. I wonder what kind of problems I will run into with those:??:

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
I have 95R's widened to 17x11" with 315/35/17's. I wonder what kind of problems I will run into with those:??:

You are running a spacer with those wheels to make them sit properly, right?

If the IRS is 3/4inch wider each side, you might not need a spacer or use a smaller spacer?

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
You are running a spacer with those wheels to make them sit properly, right?

If the IRS is 3/4inch wider each side, you might not need a spacer or use a smaller spacer?

Yes I have a 1" spacer on each side. Hopefully that will work and I don't have to shell out $$$ for new wheels.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
Awesome!

What tire? Launch RPM? Stock half shafts and bushings?

All stock IRS with a BF Brace only. M&H slicks launching at 5k. I have done it with the last 3 cars too. I have a set of level 5's I bought 3 years ago and figured I would put them in when I break one. Never happened 3 cars later. Drag Radials break axles. I only run then on the street for traction.

Users who are viewing this thread