IRS Rear Subframe Bracket: NUT BROKE ???

Lightning247

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
Established Member
Guys,

I'm installing a built 03 Cobra IRS into my 97 Cobra, and needless to say it's been a PITA with problems undocumented in the write-ups. I've figured them all out until now...

I am not using the MM Low Pro Button Head bolts that came with the IRS, b/c the allen-heads are too easily stripped. I stripped the passenger side head out, b/c the nut on the bracket was galled up for some reason. I replaced the MM bolts with some 10.9 grade M12x.75 100mm bolts from a fasteners store with 7/16" Grade 8 Washers. The head is shorter than the MM Low Pro bolts, is stronger, and only $1.78 at my local Automotive Fasteners store. Now onto my Issue.

My problem is the Passenger's side Rear IRS mounting Bracket Nut has broken the tab off because one of the previous owners galled up the threads. Drivers side went on No Prob. I am now contemplating what to do, b/c this car needs to be done ASAP, and I am not buying/shipping a pair of new brackets . I am wondering if I can find some new type of nut to fixture on the back, any ideas?

Pics
2987830550_47b704e4cf.jpg

2987828058_27655b1be5.jpg

black 10th vert

Established Member
If it were me, I'd take a cutoff wheel, and zap that nut off, and then either weld a new one on, or just use a nut with a wrench to hold it, if you can't weld.

Lightning247

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
Established Member
Yeah i thought about that, but getting the nut out might be difficult b/c there isn't much room inside the back of that bracket. I don't think there is enough room to get a wrench in there to hold the bolt, definitely not with the Bracket on the car. Also, welding a nut on there would be a good idea, but i doubt i'll be able to weld it into the correct position, there should be a little play to get everything lined up.

I looked up the price, and it appears that bracket is only $31.00 from the Ford Dealership...no prob there, but i doubt they will have it in stock. Will find out in the morning and hopefully they'll have one.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I didn't realize they were so cheap. In that case, that is the way to go, because the time you spend trying to fix the old one is worth more than the cost to replace it. I'd call Steve at Tousely Ford (a vendor on here). He can ship it quickly, and give you a great price too!

Users who are viewing this thread