IRS questions

black2kstang

Established Member
Hey guys, I am wanting to learn a little about the IRS in the terminators. My main questions are how far these rear ends can go as far as a power level or et number. How built can you make them? I have only ever dealt with sra so the IRS is new to me. It would hypothetically be behind a turbo auto setup.

mach1033

Established Member
Full Tilt Boogie Racing IRS kit is a must. Guys have gone 9's with the IRS. Slicks are easier on the shafts as comare to drag radials. Upgrading the rear diff with either a brace or Ford racing cover would be a must as well if you plan to do a lot of drag racing.

black2kstang

Established Member
Full Tilt Boogie Racing IRS kit is a must. Guys have gone 9's with the IRS. Slicks are easier on the shafts as comare to drag radials. Upgrading the rear diff with either a brace or Ford racing cover would be a must as well if you plan to do a lot of drag racing.

That's pretty much all it would be for is racing. However, I would want it to be a true street car. This is a long ways off and its not something I am even sure I will be doing, just looking at options. But the power goal will be pretty high, and I would want to make sure that the IRS would take it with no problem. And like I said, it would for sure be an auto car, most likely 4r70w. Would love for it to be able to hook on 17s. Thats the reason for the irs over the sra

mach1033

Established Member
That's pretty much all it would be for is racing. However, I would want it to be a true street car. This is a long ways off and its not something I am even sure I will be doing, just looking at options. But the power goal will be pretty high, and I would want to make sure that the IRS would take it with no problem. And like I said, it would for sure be an auto car, most likely 4r70w. Would love for it to be able to hook on 17s. Thats the reason for the irs over the sra

Everything I mentioned has perfect street manners. I have the same kit on my car and it made a world of difference. I have a vert which is even worse for wheel hop than coupes. I also went with a complete coilover kit, full subs, strut tower brace and a pair of drag radials for the street and my car feels great.

black2kstang

Established Member
Everything I mentioned has perfect street manners. I have the same kit on my car and it made a world of difference. I have a vert which is even worse for wheel hop than coupes. I also went with a complete coilover kit, full subs, strut tower brace and a pair of drag radials for the street and my car feels great.

Oh I wasn't doubting your setup. Didn't mean for it to sound like that, I just wanted some input from some guys that go 1.3-1.4 60' times on the irs

mach1033

Established Member
Oh I wasn't doubting your setup. Didn't mean for it to sound like that, I just wanted some input from some guys that go 1.3-1.4 60' times on the irs

No problem man. What you should have done is post a thread about quick 60 ft times with an IRS and I bet you will get more info. I know Broke7 hit the 9's but not sure what his 60 ft was.

Users who are viewing this thread