IRS questions!

mikesyellocobra

Established Member
Okay guys, I may have a trade worked out with a local guy. Straight swap, his 01 IRS for my 98 SRA+ I buy the gear kit he wants installed.

Can anyone tell me what I would need to bolt these up to each other? I assume that all the parts we would need would come from the original car, but you know what they about assuming...;-)

Any issues using respective driveshafts, or will we have to swap?

He has stock suspension and I have H&R Super Sport springs with Bilstein shocks-for a temporary solution, how many coils would I need to cut to achieve a similar stance? Would I need different shocks right away?

Any hidden gremlins?

Thanks guys!

Mike

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Okay guys, I may have a trade worked out with a local guy. Straight swap, his 01 IRS for my 98 SRA+ I buy the gear kit he wants installed.

Can anyone tell me what I would need to bolt these up to each other? I assume that all the parts we would need would come from the original car, but you know what they about assuming...;-)
All the bolts and related brackets etc required from your car and his car to swap around. Also get the brake hoses and hard lines off his car.

Any issues using respective driveshafts, or will we have to swap?
Since its an 01 IRS, you can keep your own driveshafts, no need to swap.

He has stock suspension and I have H&R Super Sport springs with Bilstein shocks-for a temporary solution, how many coils would I need to cut to achieve a similar stance? Would I need different shocks right away?
3/4-1 coil to get a close stance. Im sure you can buy the H&R springs individually.

Any hidden gremlins?

Thanks guys!

Mike
Its a straight forward swap. Not sure about the 98s, but you may have to do some brake line modifying to connect the IRS brake lines, IE cutting/flaring/fittings.

Later on down the road, you can do some upgrades to the IRS with better bushings and an 03-04 style front torque brace.

Ive got an 03 IRS in my 95 Cobra with the FTBR bushing kit. No regrets.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
If you get the hard lines from his car , you will need to drop the tank to make things easier.
With the hard lines you will need to make no modifications to the lines.

The rear mounts will need to be addressed.
There is no hole for the bolts , I welded them to the car when I Installed an 01 IRS in my 91 fox

mysteed

Established Member
Make sure that you get his soft brake lines, ABS sensors, shocks, and springs as well as all bolts that are used with the IRS. You can keep your factory emergency brake cables.

You CANNOT use your SRA springs and shocks with the IRS as they will NOT fit.

You will need to fabricate brake lines coming from the trans tunnel to the soft lines (soft lines mount in the factory locations).

You will need to drill holes for the vertical bolts on the rear subframe brackets.

You will need to drill out the front subframe bolt locations as the stock size is too small.

That should cover most of the major modifications.

Users who are viewing this thread