irs question

saleen2002

Established Member
hey guys i am new to the irs on the cobras. i was wanting to know the differences between the 99/01 irs and the 03/04 irs? what makes one better then the other? thanks

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
hey guys i am new to the irs on the cobras. i was wanting to know the differences between the 99/01 irs and the 03/04 irs? what makes one better then the other? thanks

In 1999 the halfshafts on the IRS contained a 28 spline inner shaft. This is determined by the gear carrier inside the differential. The 28 spline halfshafts were the weakest halfshafts of all IRS years. In 2001 the halfshafts were beefed up slightly and the inner spline was updated from a 28 to a 31 spline. In 2003 the halfshafts were once again upgraded to a heavier unit but still retained the 31 spline inner. ALL halfshafts from ALL years retain the same 28 spline outer that goes through the hub in the rear knuckle.

The early 1999 and 2000 Cobra R models had knuckle cross axis joints that were pressed in and did not have a flange and retaining ring holding them in. These were all recalled and updated with the retaining ring style cross axis joints.

The biggest problem all IRS owners have is neglecting to keep the rear hub to halfshaft retaining nuts torqued to 240-250# on a REGULAR basis. The torque is required for bearing pre-load. This neglect leads to destroyed rear knuckle bearings and damaged rear hubs.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

pkwest

Established Member
If I were you I would look for a 03/04. FYI, the gear ratio was also 3.27:1 in 99. The 03/04 cobra is 3.55:1. Also the 03/04 cobra has a stronger differential crossmember. Which ever one you choose make sure to talk to ac427cobra about his bushings.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
If I were you I would look for a 03/04. FYI, the gear ratio was also 3.27:1 in 99. The 03/04 cobra is 3.55:1. Also the 03/04 cobra has a stronger differential crossmember. Which ever one you choose make sure to talk to ac427cobra about his bushings.

^+1 I would avoid the '99 unless you picked it up real cheap. The '03-'04 is a much better choice.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member
ok so i am gonna pass on the 99 irs.....how much is is a good price for a 03/04 irs? any one selling one? thanks

You won't have to wait long. Just hang out here for a few days. Someone with a case of straight line fever will gladly trade the IRS out of his Cobra for you stick axle :nonono:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
You won't have to wait long. Just hang out here for a few days. Someone with a case of straight line fever will gladly trade the IRS out of his Cobra for you stick axle :nonono:

Thus slowly beginning the Cobra to Mustang GT conversion! ;-)

SLPRCTM

Established Member
ok so i am gonna pass on the 99 irs.....how much is is a good price for a 03/04 irs? any one selling one? thanks

Search craislist in the S.F. bay area, type in "cobra mustang". There is a guy in Pacifica who has an 03/04 complete IRS assembly for sale. I can tell from the pics that is an 03/04 because of the pinion support design.
Good luck!

laruei

Established Member
I have a IRS for sale.. im in San Diego.. ill give ya a good price on the pumpkin.

Pm me if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread