IRS or SRA?

87poopstang

Established Member
Well after some thought and working under my IRS (stupid tie rods) thinking about doing a SRA swap . The problem is now I'm worried about my IRS after doing all the mods an not beefing up the IRS (half shafts n such) so is it worth it to dump the money into the rear or go SRA? :shrug:
Any help would be great :beer:

Dragu1a

Established Member
depends on how much you plan on racing it. if you're going to track it a lot, go ahead. personally i'm not going to do one in my car bc i don't really take it to the track...and nothing says 'i beat the piss out of my car' like a SRA. just something to think about if you have resale in the back of your mind.

sdg97232

Established Member
What do you like to do with the car? If its just a street toy, cushy cruiser then I'd keep the IRS if you beat on it drag racing then I'd go solid. I've done this swap on my cobra because its going to be mainly a drag toy and its just cheaper to build the solid. I swapped the IRS into my mach because that was going to be my DD welllll that lasted about two weeks and its on a built solid now, i dont really car for the IRS but thats just my taste. On a side note if you plan on selling the car then keep the IRS most people listed the solid swap as one of there "walking away" points.

Last edited:

87poopstang

Established Member
car doesnt see track time as of yet. alot of gargae time lol i work alot. want to go to the track this fall n see what it will run just dont want to have a ride home on the flat bed from blowing out a half shaft from the launch n new tires (toyo r888). it mostly sees road races from time to time

JDUB348

Established Member
My car is just my toy (i dont abuse it much at all, and i dont ever drag race) and i love my SRA. How ever, i do have a MM torque arm, pan hard bar, and coil overs.. so that combo helps quite a bit :)

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
With right tires (ply bias tires) your irs will live long happy life at the track. I launch at 5k rpm clutch drops with no issues. Try that on street tires or even drag radials and your chances of breaking the irs triples....By the way i'm on a stock irs.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Keep in mind you’re going to lose a lot of the attributes an "independent rear suspension" has over a solid axle which is more akin to an "I" beam with springs. A SRA will add 65 lbs of unsprung mass at each corner which won't be able to cope as well on a bumpy corner, can't be toed or cambered nor will those setting dynamically change as the wheel moves in it travel as it does in the IRS.

Doesn't sound like you plan on doing any serious drag racing but if you do plan on breaking things and that's not just the axles (SRA break too). If the car see's any form of road racing like you stated this is a move in the wrong direction. No roar racer in his right mind would give up an IRS for an SRA.

For a dedicated drag racer a solid makes sense. Then again there are IRS cars in the 9's where the driver know how to launch the car and not is not breaking half shafts in the process.

I would give this some more thought.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Here we go...

The OP is asking whether this is a good thing to do. Up till now all he has been hearing is to do this swap with no opposing views. A little "balance" in the discussion is not such a bad thing.

For a street car this is a suspension downgrade don't you agree?

87poopstang

Established Member
Believe me I love the way the IRS handles/rides. Just don't want to have a shit load of money invested in it n have it shit out on me. Just trying to figure out what way to go.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
The OP is asking whether this is a good thing to do. Up till now all he has been hearing is to do this swap with no opposing views. A little "balance" in the discussion is not such a bad thing.

For a street car this is a suspension downgrade don't you agree?

No now go away. Your a broken record that needs thrown out.

Mr.Venom

Quick with Boltons
Established Member
No now go away. Your a broken record that needs thrown out.

:lol:

Personally, I'm sticking with IRS. I didn't buy a GT or Mach 1. I bought a Cobra and part of what makes it unique is its IRS. I drag race and make it work with the right selection of tire. A SRA will never sit under my car. Just my 2 cents.

GTpower01

Established Member
IRS for street imo!!! Solid axle for lots of drag racing and strip use!!!

Look at the thread on here: I think it is called Blue pill vs Red pill

Tells you everything you need to midify the irs for a 600-700hp street car... I did all that and more and have no problems and have all the drivabilty in the world! Love it for the street... Solid axles is less weight, as I run low 10s at the track probably could do 9s with a solid..

Up to you I guess and the driver and their needs on what to use the car for. I like a little handling along with some drag.. so I went IRS!

Good Luck

GTpower01

Established Member

Personally, I'm sticking with IRS. I didn't buy a GT or Mach 1. I bought a Cobra and part of what makes it unique is its IRS. I drag race and make it work with the right selection of tire. A SRA will never sit under my car. Just my 2 cents.

+++++++++++++++1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the way you think! I feel the same way! Cheers

:rockon:

svtshadow

Banned

dude i think i have seen your car in dover on Rt8, when going to the airforce base acouple of weeks ago. Clean car:rockon:

Tractionless1

Established Member
Check out Senkak's thread about constantly bending SRA axles. You'll be dumping a ton of $$ into one of those as well. Said thread really brought to light that just plugging in an SRA doesn't make the back half bulletproof.

cobracide

Established Member
want to go to the track this fall n see what it will run just dont want to have a ride home on the flat bed from blowing out a half shaft from the launch n new tires (toyo r888). it mostly sees road races from time to time

You will be fine, some aftermarket shocks, springs and bushings will help. Just make sure you are not wheel hopping on launch.

Users who are viewing this thread