IRS or SRA??? Advice needed!!

IRACEMYCOPCAR

Cobra driver
Established Member
I have an 03' vert and a local guy wants to trade his SRA setup from an 01' bullitt even up for my IRS and he will do the swap labor so basically i can get an SRA swap for free with my choice of gears (3.73/3.27/4.10)

Should i go for it or just keep the IRS??? I dont do much racing right now but that may change?? and since its a vert it probably wont see that much track time due to the fact im not putting a cage in it. So is it worth it?? would it help/hurt the resale of the car??
BTW my car already has subframe connectors and is currently making around 450RWHP

Im really not sure which way to go here help me out guys......

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
The Bullitt SRA is a pretty good set up actually, wouldnt be to bad a trade, im guessing your IRS is completly stock? When I traded mine for a Mach 1 SRA I got some cash ontop of it, but I wanna say bullitts have much better suspension. Is it a stock SRA?

Teej281

Established Member
Mach has 3.55's in it where the bullitt will have 3.27's. Mach and Bullitt share suspension. I wouldnt do it personally. The only way i would trade a stock IRS for an SRA is if the SRA already has 31 spline axles in it, in which case i would take the trade.

IRACEMYCOPCAR

Cobra driver
Established Member
Too late...he already started the swap. Bought 4.10's...i have no idea why but whatever.

What??? I havent done anything, and as far as gears i was actually leaning towards the 3.27's because i drive over 60 miles a day to work and back and the increase in fuel economy would help me the most.

i think im keeping the IRS since i wont be going to the dragstrip much, i might put a rollbar in it and road race it instead.

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
If you don't plan on running the car down the 1/4 mile strip often, I would stay IRS. My first cobra was IRS. My second cobra was SRA, and I've gone back to IRS. So, IRS -> SRA -> IRS for me. You will love the straight line madness + weight savings from the SRA... but those benefits mainly come to fruition when you're... well... going in a straight line! Seriously... my ~500rwhp SRA cobra felt just as fast as my ~600rwhp IRS cobra. I also drive long distances to work... 32 miles each way. IRS is a bit smoother than the solid I had before, not a huge difference though.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
It's all in what you want... try it out. I love the SRA swap and the weight savings when coupled with a tubular k member Front end and some other weight mods. I like the ease of working on a 8.8 SRA when compared to the IRS. They can both be built to be bulletproof.

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
Ride quality of the IRS is alot better. If your not going to do much drag racing i would keep the IRS. I just traded for a bullit solid axle and i love it. I also plan on drag racing my car after i get a good setup.

IRS if its a daily driver and you dont race. SRA if you drag race and dont car about ride quality.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
Ride quality of the IRS is alot better. If your not going to do much drag racing i would keep the IRS. I just traded for a bullit solid axle and i love it. I also plan on drag racing my car after i get a good setup.

IRS if its a daily driver and you dont race. SRA if you drag race and dont car about ride quality.

I don't agree. The ride quality in both of my swaps have been basically the same. It's all in what you want.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I have an 03' vert and a local guy wants to trade his SRA setup from an 01' bullitt even up for my IRS and he will do the swap labor so basically i can get an SRA swap for free with my choice of gears (3.73/3.27/4.10)

Should i go for it or just keep the IRS??? I dont do much racing right now but that may change?? and since its a vert it probably wont see that much track time due to the fact im not putting a cage in it. So is it worth it?? would it help/hurt the resale of the car??
BTW my car already has subframe connectors and is currently making around 450RWHP

Im really not sure which way to go here help me out guys......

Before you make any hasty decisions, regarding the Cobra IRS, you may want to read this:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ystery-cobra-independent-rear-suspension.html

And this:

FTBR Frequently Asked Questions

These will help you familiarize yourself with the Cobra/Terminator/IRS/SN-95 chassis.

If your main focus is going straight on a drag strip, a SRA will serve you well. But if you spend a majority of your time driving on the street and you want a comfortable ride with improved handling, a modified IRS is the way to go.

Hope that helps.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread