IRS leaking...

roush123

Established Member
Hello we'll my cobra has 15k miles on it and the rear end is leaking... Anyone out there have tips, hints, advise on how to tackle the job? I have the IRS brace and I'm a mechanic so I have all the tools just not sure how to start the job. Is it necessary to drop the whole rear end or is it possible to do the job while the IRS is still in the car? Any help or advise would be great! Thanks in advance!

roush123

Established Member
Also what would your recommend on gaskets or sealers? Do I need a different type of recover? Only wanting to do this job once so any help is greatly appreciated

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Common problem with the cobras. You should consider a Ford Racing or LPW diff cover. They both have a fill and drain plug, and load bolts for the main caps. I had a shop install the LPW along with FTBR diff bushings. I"m not sure what they used for sealant (it's gray) but I brought them the Ford TA-31 I think that most people recommended to me on this site and they asked if they could use what has worked out for them in the past. Nearly 2yrs so far and it's still holding up.

Most people drop the center section out I believe, but some have gotten the job done without doing so. I'm sure more will chime in.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Popular sealants are Lubelocker gasket or Motorcraft TA-29 gray from Tousley. The TA-29 requires sufficient drying time so if you DD you will have some downtime. If you are pulling the diff you might want to consider upgrading front and rear diff mounting bushings. Depending on how you are going to use the car you might want to follow Bdubbs suggestion of the FRPP or LPW diff cover.

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
Permatex Ultra Grey RTV, you dont need to spend the extra cash buying the Motorcraft stuff cause Permatex probably makes it for them.

Gasket Makers : Permatex® Ultra Grey® Rigid High-Torque RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

7160017_ptx_82194_pri_larg.jpg

fastgt110

Established Member
I used a lube locker gasket when I installed the new ford racing diff cover on my car. You can drop the center section without dropping the IRS. Maximum motor sports has some good instructions on their website if you need them but if your a mechanic you shouldn't have a problem :)

roush123

Established Member
Thanks for the advise thinking I'm gunna order the ford racing diff cover, what kind of bushing would u suggest? I'm already there just as we'll replace everything at once!

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
The Diff cover is a good idea but what are your plans with the car? Do you plan on racing in a lot? If not, you probably wont need it and a simple re-seal with RTV will get you by for now.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
Hello we'll my cobra has 15k miles on it and the rear end is leaking... Anyone out there have tips, hints, advise on how to tackle the job? I have the IRS brace and I'm a mechanic so I have all the tools just not sure how to start the job. Is it necessary to drop the whole rear end or is it possible to do the job while the IRS is still in the car? Any help or advise would be great! Thanks in advance!

Since you have the IRS brace you should be fine if you reseal it. Mine leaked once and I had it resealed and it's been good ever since even after burnouts at the track and digs on the street. I don't think it's a bad thing to get one of those differential covers, but if it's just leaking from the pumpkin (like mine was) I would just reseal it properly with the IRS brace and call it a day.

CJK440

Established Member

Dumb question. Where is it leaking from? Lots of places for then to leak.

Sent from my whiz bang pocket computer.

roush123

Established Member
My plans for the car are simple drive it on the nice days and maybe hit the track once in awhile. The car definitely does not have a hard life does alot of gatage sitting... The leak is coming from the cover I noticed it when I had a puddle about the size of the palm of your hand on the floor. Just wanting to do everything possible to keep the leak away once fixed. Coarse can't ever guarantee that but I want to do everything to try!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

I see in your sig that you have 600hp. You most likely have the OEM IRS bushings in your car. Until you stabilize your differential housing, you will continue to have rear cover leakage, and even breakage issues.

You need solid aluminun front diff mounting bushings and a Delrin rear diff mounting bushings in order to stabilize the differential housing.

For more information regarding the IRS, see my sig.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

SuperSport01

Established Member
A lubelocker gasket will solve this leak. Do not use silicone with a lubelocker. While the diff is out put in some FTBR diff bushings.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
OP don't listen to the ones saying you probably won't need a different cover if your not racing or driving hard. There are many things the Ford Racing or LPW covers offer that oem ones don't. I can't remember if the stock cover only has a fill plug or drain plug, but it's NOT both! That alone is a great reason to buy an aftermarket diff cover. Also the stock ones are known to crack or explode for that matter, a member posted one awhile back that cracked even with a brace on. Check out link below for proof.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/driveline-216/879164-rear-diff-cover-shattered-bf-brace.html

Also I'm using Royal Purple lube, I believe 75w-140.

Last edited:

rondog622

Established Member
Op i just did the job this winter on jack stands. Not a hard job at all. I ordered the motorcraft ta-29 on ebay for half price from ford. I used amsoil synthetic fluid which seemed popular. And i replaced the bushings with the ftbr parts. I only dropped the pumpkin. This winter im going to drop the whole irs to do the rest of the bushings using ftbr stuff. You shouldnt have any probs. i did let the diff cover sit a few days to dry before filling. It was recommended
Ron

Users who are viewing this thread