IRS leaking

ph363

Established Member
Took my car out last weekend for the first time in a few months. When I backed it out of the garage I noticed a few spots on the floor. Against my better judgement, I took it out anyways. I put on a good 150miles, some of which were hard runs with minimal hop. Its been back in the garage for about a week, I threw a peice of cardboard under it to get an idea of how bad and where the leak was coming from. Its deffinately comming form the diff/cover. I dont have time to get under it to check for cracks right now, but I managed to snap a pic. What do you guys think? Am I going to be doing a diff cover soon? Or is the cover just moving around as others have described? Either way, its irs brace time.

leak.jpg

leak2.jpg

everyman

smoke 'em
Looks like a standard Terminator diff leak and I'd guess the cover is still OK

I had the same thing until I put the Billetflow brace on.

I installed the brace without resealing and it pretty much stopped leaking for a year; maybe you will be so lucky

There is only silicone sealer on that cover and the best is the Motorcraft gray diesel stuff (available at dealer)

Part# TA-31

Last edited:

BWH2003

Established Member
Get the brace and try to stop the leak but your best bet is to reseal the diff and then add a brace

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
ph363 said:
...snip... Am I going to be doing a diff cover soon? Or is the cover just moving around as others have described? Either way, its irs brace time.

...snip...

That is leaking faster than some I have seen break. One "tear" of fluid down the side is a slow leak. The whole bottom soaked and three drops forming is really losing some juice.
I would not drive the car again till it is fixed or at least fluid level checked. You could be low on fluid and grind up the ring/pinion/diff. That is definetly a pull, reseal ,add brace and implement multiple elements of the RED PILL.

Once you warp the cover from your "hard runs with minimal hop" they have the potential to NOT reseal well. They just tripled in price too.

BRACE IT!
RED PILL! :read:

ph363

Established Member
Who offers a billet diff cover? I couldn't find one on Dougs' site. Im not into buying another oem cast cover. I'm amazed that that cover design made it to production.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
ph363 said:
Who offers a billet diff cover? I couldn't find one on Dougs' site. Im not into buying another oem cast cover. I'm amazed that that cover design made it to production.

Billetflow offers a Billet Diff cover, taking orders right now http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254125&highlight=billet

The cover needs to be inspected real good if you try to reuse it. The cast covers will last if braced from the start. The only one (cast cover) ever to break with a brace on it had been launched hard several times unprotected and then braced.
No one has broken a brace. Not even the guys in the mid 9's :uh oh:

The cast cover is what Ford calls a carryover part, same as the one on the 99 and 01. They break and leak on stock cars that are driven hard too. Even with 260rwhp you are not safe.

ph363

Established Member
Damn, I wish I would have been around earlier. I was willing to supply engineering/cad work/fea time/partial cnc programming at no cost to a shop willing to produce a cover.

If I cant find someone to give me some machine time to punch out a cover, I'll be sure to thoroughly check flatness before deciding to reuse the oem cover with a bf brace.

Thanks for your help.

supercobra506

NINJA
Established Member
get the billetflow irs brace and torq it back down, mine was doing the samething. take it out, get on alittle bit and then a few drops from the diff.

SVT ROD

Established Member
Same Thing

ph363,

My 03 is doing the same thing. Exact same story. I have not driven it much only 12000 mi. in three years. I am out of warranty by 1 month the dealer would not fix it. Do you think there is a tsb on this fix?

I have been looking for a cover myself and have not been able to locate one. Let me know what you find out.

SVTROD

Users who are viewing this thread