IRS Leak? How-to?

StangJason

Established Member
Is there a how-to for fixing the typical leak from the IRS chunk? If not could someone help me out by giving me the steps and parts I'll need to complete this fix...btw I plan to do this in my garage on jack stands because I have no lift.

StangJason

Established Member
Not going to be fun on jackstands.

Kind of what's been keeping me from it for all these months :( but I'm getting rather fed up with it. Maybe I can find someone local with a lift (that's trustworthy???) that's willing to do it and the IRS brace.

StangJason

Established Member
I called a local Ford Dealership and they quoted me $350.74 to reseal (including fluids) my IRS cover.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
mine's leaking from there too! leaves drops all over the garage

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Most fellas feel the "correct" way to fix the IRS cover leak is to remove the pumpkin from the IRS and do it off of the car. Not as easy, but this can certainly be done on jack stands. I'd recommend performing other IRS mods at the same time, ie: IRS bushings, differential bushings, etc.

StangJason

Established Member
Most fellas feel the "correct" way to fix the IRS cover leak is to remove the pumpkin from the IRS and do it off of the car. Not as easy, but this can certainly be done on jack stands. I'd recommend performing other IRS mods at the same time, ie: IRS bushings, differential bushings, etc.

I'm on a tight budget so can any of the bushings be done for less than say $100 but preferably a lot less. I've got a new family member on the way so just getting the Cobra up to problem free condition is most important

btw I already have an IRS brace from Billetflow waiting to go on.

Digital

Established Member
If you're on a tight budget tighten the bolts around the leak till they almost brake. That will hold it for a bit.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I'm on a tight budget so can any of the bushings be done for less than say $100 but preferably a lot less. I've got a new family member on the way so just getting the Cobra up to problem free condition is most important

btw I already have an IRS brace from Billetflow waiting to go on.
Yes, the IRS bushings cost about $50. The labor is the issue here, so if you're doing it yourself, that's an option.

And, several folks have found that installation of an IRS brace and subsequent tightening the diff cover bolts has alleviated the leak. I put my brace on 4 years ago and get a drop on the garage floor about every 4 months whereas before it was pretty consistent.

Sharkster

Established Member
I just dropped the whole IRS the last time I did one. Did it right inside the IRS. If you do it make sure to get the Billetflow IRS brace on there. As long as your in there.
ITS not that hard of a deal to drop the IRS on jackstands

StangJason

Established Member
The dealership did it fairly cheap cause they said I had some kind of warranty with a $100 deductable but of course they charged me $75 more for the brace installation. I still can't complain though because another Ford dealership wanted $355 to do it without the brace.

Users who are viewing this thread