Irs housing cover

idiliogomez

Young One
Established Member
Why is it that i see so many people using a liquid gasket like RTV to seal diff covers rather than regular gaskets??? I already ordered a gasket for my real end.. should i still use it? or use RTV?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Why is it that i see so many people using a liquid gasket like RTV to seal diff covers rather than regular gaskets??? I already ordered a gasket for my real end.. should i still use it? or use RTV?

I don't know the Ford IRS cover ever used a "regular gasket".

Use motorcycle case sealer like kawibond :rockon:

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I don't know the Ford IRS cover ever used a "regular gasket".

The cobra IRS did not come with a gasket. You just use grey RTV. Same with the front cover on the T56. FWIW I did this when I installed an LPW cover on my '04 2 years ago, and its doing fine.

Use motorcycle case sealer like kawibond :rockon:

The motorcyle case sealer is good stuff. Just a little harder to find.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The cobra IRS did not come with a gasket. You just use grey RTV. Same with the front cover on the T56. FWIW I did this when I installed an LPW cover on my '04 2 years ago, and its doing fine.

That's kinda what I was getting at. Does the SRA use a cover gasket?

The motorcyle case sealer is good stuff. Just a little harder to find.

Any motorycycle dealer should have it or can order it. It will make removing it "more interesting" but it won't leak.

idiliogomez

Young One
Established Member
ok thanks guys... does anyone know where i can find a write-up on how to do it? ( i know its pretty straight forward.. just like RTV curing times and how long before putting in the oil is what im concerned about)

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
ok thanks guys... does anyone know where i can find a write-up on how to do it? ( i know its pretty straight forward.. just like RTV curing times and how long before putting in the oil is what im concerned about)

I don't remember an exact curing time for the grey RTV. I just let it cure overnight for both my T56 and my IRS cover. It was probably roughly 24hrs before I filled up the oil/lube. All is well...... (knock on wood)

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Clean the housing sealing surface, and the channel of the diff cover.

Fill the channel in the cover with nice bead of RTV. Go slow so there are no air bubbles. You want your bead of RTV to protrude out of the channel by around 1/3 the diameter of your bead. On the bottom half of the cover, on the outside of the channel I also ran a very thin bead on the flat sealing surface of the cover just for a little extra insurance.

When you put the cover on you should see a consistent bead of RTV pressed out around the circumference of the housing. I simply reassembled my rear end, poured in gear oil last and never had a leak. My diff had about 3-4 hours of cure time before use. The longer you wait the better, but it will be good to go in a few hours if the weather conditions are not extreme.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread