IRS forward torque brace

markcass123

Established Member
Hey guys,
I recently bought this kenny brown IRS forward torque brace. Incase u need a visual to see what im talking about here is a link Kenny Brown IRS Forward Torque Brace 1999 2004 Cobra at v8power.com
It came with instructions and it seems pretty easy, jack up the car loosen the 2 nuts on the front support for the rear end mounts, remove the bolts through the differential mounts. Replace and retorque. I have several questions on this job

I'm so confused because when i have the car jacked up i get underneith and i cant even get a rachet onto the nut for the rear end mount theres a big ass bar that is just in the way and I dont even see how its possible to do this job without taking that off... The installation estimate it gives on the instructions says an hour but this looks like it could be a huge job...

Has anyone else done this installation? Could i be jacking it up in the wrong location or something so the suspension is blocking the nuts?

Also I have one more question when you get under the car right infront of this brace there is a big block which seems like its there to protect the rearend or something incase of a bottom out, In the picture on the instructions this is no longer there are you supposed to remove this or put it back on with the new brace.

Thanks guys - Mark

Charles236

Established Member
If you have an '03 or '04 Cobra IRS, you already have a brace mounted in the position that the Kenny Brown torque brace would mount in. The factory brace is shaped a little differently, and made from tubing, but serves the same purpose.

markcass123

Established Member
so your saying this brace is pointless? Im confused because on the instructions it says for 1999-2004 cobras and 2000 cobra R "The kenny brown IRS forward torque brace helps control torque induced rear carrier deflection which helps reduce wheel hop expierenced in IRS cars, improve traction and improve overall handling".

markcass123

Established Member
What should i buy to prevent wheel-hop then in my cobra? Look at this link http://www.rpmoutlet.com/03cobraharda.htm#6
If you scroll down it shows like a video, you see the factory bar then it shows the aftermarket bar that I have I am just confused like why would they sell me this part thats designed for my car if i already have one on it stock?

Last edited:

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
Hey guys,
I recently bought this kenny brown IRS forward torque brace. Incase u need a visual to see what im talking about here is a link Kenny Brown IRS Forward Torque Brace 1999 2004 Cobra at v8power.com
It came with instructions and it seems pretty easy, jack up the car loosen the 2 nuts on the front support for the rear end mounts, remove the bolts through the differential mounts. Replace and retorque. I have several questions on this job

I'm so confused because when i have the car jacked up i get underneith and i cant even get a rachet onto the nut for the rear end mount theres a big ass bar that is just in the way and I dont even see how its possible to do this job without taking that off... The installation estimate it gives on the instructions says an hour but this looks like it could be a huge job...

Has anyone else done this installation? Could i be jacking it up in the wrong location or something so the suspension is blocking the nuts?

Also I have one more question when you get under the car right infront of this brace there is a big block which seems like its there to protect the rearend or something incase of a bottom out, In the picture on the instructions this is no longer there are you supposed to remove this or put it back on with the new brace.

Thanks guys - Mark

i've done that install, its simple like you said, throw that big block weight in the trash, i've got a set of the kenny brown front of diff aluminum bushings if you want to use them with the kb torque brace, i've switch mine over to mm's alum. bushings. if you compare the stock bar to the kb piece, you'll see there is very little comparison, its solid

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread