IRS fluid capacity? Drain/Fill

99ElectricCobra

2003 Cobra #1609
Established Member
Hey, I've looked through most of the IRS tech stuff. I haven't found a fluid capacity. Put the IRS brace on and now it's leaking, could tell it was going too when swapping bolts out to install the brace. Anyway, how much will it take, just so I have some idea when I get some. What weight? Sorry, car didn't come with a manual so some dumb ??'s may come from me.

Any tips/hints on doing it?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
how hard is it gonna be to reseal the cover? you gotta pull the whole chunk out, or can you get the cover off just by dropping the IRS?

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
99ElectricCobra said:
Hey, I've looked through most of the IRS tech stuff. I haven't found a fluid capacity. Put the IRS brace on and now it's leaking, could tell it was going too when swapping bolts out to install the brace. Anyway, how much will it take, just so I have some idea when I get some. What weight? Sorry, car didn't come with a manual so some dumb ??'s may come from me.

Any tips/hints on doing it?

Thanks!!

From the Ford tech CD:
4 oz of Friction modifier - part EST-M2C118-A or equivalent
1.23-1.37 Liters (2.6-2.9 pints) of rear axle lubricant. 80W-90 weight. I think the for part number is WSP-M2C197-A

Tech CD also indicates the rear axle lube level should be 1/4 from the bottom of the fill hole.

It isn't hard to put in fluid, but a PITA. You will need some of the vinyl tubing that will fit int othe hole (3/8" I think). You put the tubing into the hold then run it up out of the passenger wheel well and put your the end of the bottle of lubricant in then squeeze it in.

Here is info on pulling the pumpkin if you have to replace the seal.
http://www.lx.net/jlynch/pumpkin.htm

Yes, to replace the seal, the IRS will have to be dropped.

99ElectricCobra

2003 Cobra #1609
Established Member
Got the IRS brace back off and the diff cover, guess what? Too late on the IRS brace, the diff cover was scraped and I can see a crack on the inside of the cover. It's not the cause of the leak, around the bottom couple bolts. But glad I took it off to do it right. Now I need a diff cover, or a good welder?

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
99ElectricCobra said:
Got the IRS brace back off and the diff cover, guess what? Too late on the IRS brace, the diff cover was scraped and I can see a crack on the inside of the cover. It's not the cause of the leak, around the bottom couple bolts. But glad I took it off to do it right. Now I need a diff cover, or a good welder?

Its aluminum so it'd have to be TIG welded. But really the structural integrity has already been comprimised.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
99riocobra said:
just to let you know, cobra rear difs take synthetic 75w-140 with a friction modifier. NOT 80w-90.

80w90 is what the Ford manual calls for. Has there been a TSB indicating otherwise?

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
as far as i know, the owner's manual says synthetic 75w-140 with friction modifier. i have also called a local svt dealer and they said the same thing.

99ElectricCobra

2003 Cobra #1609
Established Member
I would do royal purple but store didn't have it so went with 80-90 in hopes of getting it all done last nite, DOH!! For what it's worth, Autozone's computer said 80-90W, I'm only kidding with that one, I'm not arguing anyone who say's otherwise only because Autozone said so, I asked them, that's what they told me it took at the time. :bash: Here's what I did to the cover, inside and outside :(
301120.jpg

301119.jpg

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
'99's probably call for 80w90, by '01 Ford used the 75w140 in all the limited slip diffs. As long as you use the friction modifier, you can use either one and never have an issue. The biggest difference is the 75w140 is full synthetic, and the 80w90 is not.

Users who are viewing this thread