IRS Exhaust Question

BraMas

Established Member
OK I know I'm being over critical but my exhaust tips bother me after doing the IRS swap. There are no tip cut outs in our rear bumper and when you put a cat back on made for a rear bumper with the little cut outs you have to point the tips down to clear the bumper and to me it ruins the flow of the car from the side. What did you guys to do fix this or does anyone have any idea's?
I can only think of Dumps (not a fan of)
Or side exhaust ( seems kinda $)
Here is what I'm talking about
P1050248.jpg

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Or a different set of tailpipes (muffler back)? Are those the Magnaflow tailpipes?

There is that Mystic on here with the IRS and he has Bassani tails I believe?

BraMas

Established Member
Yes they are Magnoflow. I don't get what different tails will do. the exit of the catback is pointed right at the back side of the bumper cover. I have to angle the tips down to get them to clear the bumper cover

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Why not just section out a chunk of the flow tubes leading into the tips so that it brings the angle of the tailpipes more level, then have them welded back on...?

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Magnaflow IRS tailpipes tend to tuck up higher which is the cause for tips having to be pointed down. Bassani and SLP don't do this, I've had both and they have the same angle from what I could tell. I'm currently running SLP tailpipes and exhaust tips with bassani mufflers and the angle is perfect...a straight shot out.

caliboy08

Established Member
Magnaflow IRS tailpipes tend to tuck up higher which is the cause for tips having to be pointed down. Bassani and SLP don't do this, I've had both and they have the same angle from what I could tell. I'm currently running SLP tailpipes and exhaust tips with bassani mufflers and the angle is perfect...a straight shot out.

i wish i had known this about the magnaflow c/b.. i originally had a flowmaster c/b on my IRS '96 cobra. it bolted on and lined up straight. now i have a new magnaflow c/b sitting in the box... hhmm.. wonder if i should sell it?

to the OP, is there no way it can be adjusted? i'm not doubting that you haven't tried to. i almost want to install mine to see if it's the same or not.

also, what did you do for the rear exhaust hangers?

Last edited:

BraMas

Established Member
Ya I've adjusted everything I could think of. Kinda why I posted this to see if anyone could think outside the box a little better than me.
As far as the rear hangers I just used some rubber hangers From a Chain Auto Store and the metal banding that comes in a roll and has a bunch of holes in it.

P1050522.jpg

P1050524.jpg

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Yes they are Magnoflow. I don't get what different tails will do. the exit of the catback is pointed right at the back side of the bumper cover. I have to angle the tips down to get them to clear the bumper cover

As the others have mentioned already, a different brand of tailpipes will help with clearance issues. Looks like the magnaflow tails (from the muffler towards the rear) are angled up higher as they pass the tires. The other brand tailpipes dont angle that far up.

If Mystic-SVT posts a picture of his setup, you'll see what I was reffering to.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Heres a side view of the SLP tailpipes and tips for reference
96MC9.jpg

And here are my old bassani tailpipes
IMG_1252.jpg

Last edited:

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
It almost seems like the magnaflows have a steeper upward angle, slp and bassani have a less dramatic upward bend.

And like 2DXTRM said, you will have to switch out to a diff set of tailpipes to get the angle you want. Unless you cut them and have them welded for a better angle.

BraMas

Established Member
That's the look I want. But it does appear your cat back system doesn't bend up like the magnaflow system does

Rev Happy

Established Member
If it bothers you that much, take it to a good exhaust shop and have them modify it to fit the bumper better. When I swapped over to an 03 Cobra IRS, the exhaust turned out to be the biggest problem. I had bought a 99-04 Mac Prochamber and a Mac IRS catback thinking everything would fit fine. Out of the box, everything would been misaligned and super low. I ended up having a good exhaust shop modify the Prochamber and Catback and also had them add Magnaflow 3 inch tailpipes because I didn't like the Macs that came with the catback. Haven't got around to polishing over the welds and stuff, but it doesn't really bother me that much.

4988784879_4a2e813189_b.jpg

4455322701_a15d746013_b.jpg

Last edited:

venomous99

Established Member
i think most ppl have the same issue with the tips being tucked too high. your best bet if you want the right alignment is to have a shop modify the exhaust. i went with a smaller 3" tip that just tucks enough where the bumper hides the tailpipe to tip connection. when you go w/ larger tips, it becomes more of a challenge of trying to hide the tip. newer cars didnt have this issue cuz of how low the bumper sits.
DSCN2210.JPG

DSCN2217.JPG

DSCN2114.jpg

DSCN2112.jpg

CzchMex

Established Member
Old thread, but good info. Searching my answers. What did you other guys do for hangers? Since our frames are similar to 99+ Cobras, would the rear tailpipe hangers from those cars bolt up to our holes?

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
NO problem at all with my flowmaster catback.. went straight on.

DSC_1343-1.jpg

DSC_1325-1.jpg

I'm not even using the rear-most hangers, it's a sturdy as can be.

Users who are viewing this thread