IRS Differential bushings: what I've read...

03Cobvertible

Established Member
What’s the deal with these IRS differential bushings??!! I’ve been searching and have read the following:

The urethane ones melt.
The front urethane ones don’t fit so I had to add a bunch of washers.
My urethane bushing cracked.
The back urethane bushing does not fit or is impossible to install.
The aluminum ones will transmit every minute noise and vibration throughout the entire car.
They dramatically improve the wheel hop problem.

Can anyone with personal experience please chime in?? What’s the deal with the MM tool that comes with their urethane bushings? I will have the pumpkin out of the car because I have to reseal the cover, will that help with the rear bushing install? What are “brand N” bushings??!!

Thanks,
--Bill

PS – I do not see myself parting with $250 for an aluminum block and a few washers…

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
I don't have experience with urethane diff bushings but the majority take on that is that over time there will be too much heat for the urethane to handle, and melt. I have aluminum in the front and delrin in the back. There is definately more noise transmitted through them, but some guys in the cobra r section are working on a solution to that. I changed the irs cradle bushings, and the upper and lower control arm bushings at the same time I did the diff bushings. I also installed h&r ss springs at the same time. I noticed a huge improvement but I'm sure this is due to all the parts working together. Just diff bushings I can't imagine would have a great impact by themselves. Brand n bushings are delrin and aluminum bushings that were made by a board member that were being used quite a bit about a year ago. I personally have a huge problem with these bushings, and I know of many other board members that were less than pleased. My personal advise is to stay away form these. Take it or leave it.

I have the alum bushing kit on my 01 Cobra and its the total opposite of everything you described. Sure you get a little more rear end noise than stock rubber, but you 03/04 guys aren't going to hear rear end noise above that Eaton whining.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
03Cobvertible said:
What’s the deal with these IRS differential bushings??!! I’ve been searching and have read the following:

The urethane ones melt. The cheap Steeda ones do, supposedly the MM ones don't, mine are aluminum.
The front urethane ones don’t fit so I had to add a bunch of washers.
My urethane bushing cracked. melting and cracking common with Steeda ones
The back urethane bushing does not fit or is impossible to install.
The aluminum ones will transmit every minute noise and vibration throughout the entire car. Yuo will hear your gears more if you have a quiet exhaust
They dramatically improve the wheel hop problem. they help with wheelhop, only the appropriate mods for your power level from the RED PILL will cure wheel hop.

Can anyone with personal experience please chime in?? What’s the deal with the MM tool that comes with their urethane bushings? It works, simple to use, all MM stuff comes with great instructions. I will have the pumpkin out of the car because I have to reseal the cover, will that help with the rear bushing install? What are “brand N” bushings??!! something to pass on, seriously, Maximum Motorsports or the Cobra R guys (have not seen their stuff yet) are your best options

Thanks,
--Bill

PS – I do not see myself parting with $250 for an aluminum block and a few washers…So get the delrin rear bushing, it works fine in my car.

:fart:

Keep searching/reading. Doing fine so far! :thumbsup:

03Cobvertible

Established Member
Thanks guys. The other thing I read is to not use different bushings on the front and the back of the diff. So if I use derlin (where do I get these?) in the back, can I get derlin for the front?

Anyone have any input on installing the MM urethane on the back, and or input on the MM front urethane ones melting?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
i dont think urethane has any place mounting the differential housing. it gets too hot.

if you're going to mount the front of the diff solidly, you have to mount the back solidly too otherwise you risk breaking something expensive.

there's a bushing thread in the for-sale section. a couple of the 00r guys are cranking them out.

Users who are viewing this thread