irs bushings

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
magstang1 said:
I finally got everything back together and it's definately better, but it still hops.

My result too. Dosen't that piss you off after all the money and agony?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
johnny-longtors said:
Huh? Who's tool might this be? Have I missed a thread on a home-made design?

The tool is mine. If you want to rent it out, shoot me a PM.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
magstang1 said:
MM sells the tool for the uca's for $40. I haven't seen the lower tool for sale.

The tool they sell for the uppers is for solid axles. They will not sell the IRS tools seperately. I bought mine from a guy on here. I will rent them out to whoever wants them.

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
The MM tool for the upper bushings on a solid rear, works great on installing the MM IRS subframe bushings. Just get a 6 and 7 inch long 7/16th bolt to help pull the bushing into the stock sleeve. You can then use the tool to install the MM 12mm and 14mm sleeves.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Richo said:
The MM tool for the upper bushings on a solid rear, works great on installing the MM IRS subframe bushings. Just get a 6 and 7 inch long 7/16th bolt to help pull the bushing into the stock sleeve. You can then use the tool to install the MM 12mm and 14mm sleeves.

Instead of spending $40 on the tool from MM, you could rent the one in the market for $10. It works AWESOME for pressing in the subframe bushings.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
For pressing in irs bushings I used a holesaw and a c clamp. If you need to take lca bushings out USE MM'S TOOL!!! (just don't break it, sorry) The reduction in wheelhop for me was pretty dramatic. Once I started getting into the install I grew skeptical that there would be any effect. The stock bushings were rubber, but they seemed to be a pretty stiff rubber, except for the rear diff. My wheelhop before bushings was like someone lifting the car 6 inches off the ground and dropping it over and over. Now it's definately there, just not like a jackhammer. I was running f1's and it was 60 or so degrees out. That would have been wheelhop city before. H&R ss springs mm subs and nitto's are in my garage waiting to go on. Hopefully the combo will reduce it even more.

black10th vert

Established Member
BreBar21 said:
Sounds good. All of my stuff is installed, and is bouncing a little bit. Someone should definately start a service to fix these. We send them the crush sleeves, they fix them, and send them back. There seems to be a good bit of demand for it.
Mine still has a little bounce to it also and wheelhops worse than ever. I also used a holesaw and c clamp to change the sfb and it worked great.

Last edited:

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
Road test: So now I have this squeeking sound coming from the drivers side low on the car. The best I can tell it is coming from forward of the rear wheel. I can't see how this would be the delrin lca bushing. It sounds like the poly subframe bushing making the noise. Anyone have this problem? How do I make the noise go away?

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I have heard of this. It could be because there wasn't adequate application of that sticky lube that MM supplies with their bushings. You need to cover the outside of the bushings and the crush sleeves with the stuff.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
black10th vert said:
Mine still has a little bounce to it also and wheelhops worse than ever.

Mine still hops too. I'm not sure how much good all this bushing BS has done. Seems like there's an awful lot of people going to an awful lot of trouble and expense to achieve questionable results.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Mine still has a little bounce to it also and wheelhops worse than ever.

You're LCA's are still binding. That's why I bought the MM delrin bushings after the problem with the other delrin bushings. With the MM bushings, my car rarely wheel hops anymore. When it gets colder out it will hop a little, not violent wheelhop like before.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
After about 300 miles on the bushings I jacked up the car, pulled the wheels and checked everything. One thing I checked was the LCA bushings. They are working as designed. With a jack under the knuckle I could see that the crush sleeves were fixed with respect to the frame and the rotation was between the bushings and the crush sleeves. No sign of wear or other problems.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
if I grease up the subframe bushings with the prothane grease won't it just wear off in time? seems like this might be a recurring problem.

black10th vert

Established Member
magstang1 said:
if I grease up the subframe bushings with the prothane grease won't it just wear off in time? seems like this might be a recurring problem.

I've only put a few hundred miles on mine since the bushings and mine were squeaking also but after I drive it for awhile they stop. When I took it out this week it didn't squeak at all. I figured the grease was working its way in and maybe it won't squeak anymore.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
Ok I was wrong. The squeek is not coming from the subframe bushings as I originally suspected. The noise is coming from the drivers rear lower control arm bushing. I used the same process to install and torque all the bushings. The crush sleeve is staying starionary and the delrin sleeve is rotating on it. The noise also seems to be getting progressively worse. Anybody else have a problem like this?

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I put some grease in there when I assembled them. No squeek. If you take it out, make sure it is not too tight when you put it back in.

Last edited:

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
I have to pull it partially apart to put the springs in so I'm probably going to pull that arm off when I do that. What kind of grease did you use and where did you get it? I remember hearing somone saying not to use a specific kind.

Users who are viewing this thread