• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

IRS Bushing Replacement and Identifying Diff housing weight

Discussion in 'New Edge Cobras' started by vdubn, Oct 10, 2019.

1. vdubn

vdubn New Member Established Member

I just pulled my IRS rear unit out yesterday and I am in the process of replacing all of the bushings, the tie rods, and swapping in the 2003/2004 cross brace that bolts to the rear diff. I noticed that there is a weight that hangs off of the front of the differential. I think this is a sound isolator or something similar. I think the other 8.8 solid rear axles had a similar weight hanging off the front. I don't think there is any harm in eliminating it, but thought I would ask, in the even that it has a purpose that I am unaware of.

The back of the car feels like it pretty much swims as I cross any lanes on the highway that have any slight groves in them, and any bumps pretty much feel like the car is bouncing left and right, so I am looking forward to getting everything tightened up.

Attached Files:

2. slo984now

slo984now AKA 01yellerCobra Established Member

It's a harmonic dampener. Most people remove it without issue. It also becomes useless once you change gears.

3. vdubn

vdubn New Member Established Member

What do you mean worthless once you change gears? Was the dampener only good with the taller/stock gears. As in changing gear ratios? My car has 4.10 gears so it probably is useless already.

4. slo984now

slo984now AKA 01yellerCobra Established Member

It was designed to work with the stock 3.27 gears. When you change the gears to a different ratio the harmonics change. Just remove it when you install the pinion brace.

vdubn likes this.
  5. shurur

shurur Well-Known Member Established Member

might make a nice paperweight

P49Y-CY likes this.