IRS Braces

isdnmatt

Established Member
What manufactures make the braces for the IRS? I believe I remember seeing two. One that lets you keep the vibe dampener and one needs it to be removed.

Does FFRP sell one?

-Matt

REDLYNE

Established Member
PHP and FRPP

The two IRS braces available are the FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts) IRS Brace and the PHP (Paul's High Performance) IRS Brace.

The FRPP Brace is $20 more expensive and does NOT work with the vibration dampener.

The PHP Brace is heavier/beefier than the FRPP Brace and DOES work with the vibration dampener.

Despite the obvious advantages of the PHP Brace, some feel more comfortable with the FRPP brace because it is made by Ford.

I reccommend using polyurethane bushings with either brace. As a matter of fact, someone I know on another message board could NOT get the FRRPP brace to fit with the stock bushings. You can buy the bushings from Steeda or from PHP (as I did) with their brace. Both places sell bushings manufactored by MN-12.

To give you an idea of my personal results:
1. With stock gears, the highest I could launch w/o wheel hop was 3200 rpm.
2. Bushings went on, I went to the same stretch of road and was able to launch at 3400 rpms with no hop.
3. After the PHP brace went on, I went back to that same road and was launching at 4500 rpms with no hop.
Granted, the car was kicking out hard, smoking the tires, etc....but still no hop. No, however, with 4.30's I'm launching under 3500 again. :)

REDLYNE

Established Member

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
i've got the fr500 brace and it'll be installed friday, finally. the brace and steeda bushing set me back 195 bucks. i'll be taking pics of the install and post them on a web page and let everyone know as soon as it's done. in some cases, the brace and bushings killed the vibe, which eliminates the necessity for the damper, IF it kills the vibe on your particular vehicle.

JoeCobra99

Established Member
I've had the FR500 Brace for a few months now. I was going to go with the other brace, but heard from a guy in our Cobra Club who cracked one of the welds on his and then decided to switch over to the FR brace afterwards as a result. I got the FR brace for 10 bucks less than the PHP brace from a parts supplier (can't remember which one at the moment, Something Ford Parts) and although I did in fact have to remove the vibration dampener, I'd had a vibe at 80-85 after the dampener was installed, but no vibe now that the dampener is removed and the FR brace is in. If you want to keep that 12 pound block of weight hanging off your pumpkin, you've gotta go with the PHP brace, otherwise the FR brace is a beefy enough and heavy enough piece of gear and does an excellent job, at least in my application. I think either one of them is good and a much needed improvement over the stock setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread