iron block in 11-12 gt500's?

roxas4620

Established Member
I have a 2011 gt500 with 12000 miles on it. After the third day of driving it it started misfiring, I took it to a local performance shop. They did a compression test and cylinder 8 failed. They checked my pistons with the little camera and a chunk of my piston in cylinder 8 is gone. I don't have the funds to rebuild the aluminum motor in the car but I have seen some pretty cheap iron short blocks. Has anyone put an iron block in there car and did they have a problems such as the water pump? I'm looking for potential problems with the installation of an iron block. Will my heads bolt on to the block? Any answers will be much appreciated

MattR

Established Member
There is a thread posted a couple days ago asking this very thing. Why not repair your engine? If the cylinder is bad they can sleeve them, I believe the cost is around 1800. The FRPP short block is very attractive for price, but I'm guessing the resale of the car will be ruined adding 100 lbs to it.

Last edited:

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
After the third day of driving it it started misfiring, I took it to a local performance shop. They did a compression test and cylinder 8 failed. They checked my pistons with the little camera and a chunk of my piston in cylinder 8 is gone.

What do you mean "after the third day of driving it"?

Did you just purchase the car?

Do you still have the 5 year powertrain warranty or did you void this with modifications?

roxas4620

Established Member
Oops forgot to mention that, yes I recently purchased the car from a dealership used. I was originally a hemi guy so I didn't realize the car was modded. It had a vmp 2.3 supercharger on with a jlt intake, so the factory Warranty is gone. If I had known the car was modded I wouldn't have touched it but I assumed it was stock.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Oops forgot to mention that, yes I recently purchased the car from a dealership used. I was originally a hemi guy so I didn't realize the car was modded. It had a vmp 2.3 supercharger on with a jlt intake, so the factory Warranty is gone. If I had known the car was modded I wouldn't have touched it but I assumed it was stock.

If the vehicle is exactly like you purchased it from the Dealership, and the Dealership never specifically told you that the 5 year powertrain warranty was voided due to the modifications already on the car, I would take it back to them and tell them there is a problem with the engine and see where it goes from there.

Just because there are modifications to a car, does not mean the warranty is automatically voided.
Some Dealerships install modifications that are warrantied.

If all the Ford factory warranties were voided on that vehicle, that should have been disclosed to you before the sale was finalized.

Last edited:

roxas4620

Established Member
They are a reputable shop I called l m engines mmr engines and they all said it was a fair price for a rebuild on the aluminum engine

RSAGT500

Established Member
Well now I'm curious to see where this goes...sorry about your car OP
It doesn't go anywhere. I went with a friend to go look at that car a few weeks ago and it was gone already. He ended it buying a completely stock 11 from Illinois and shipping it down.

OP sorry to hear that this happened. What shop are you referring to?

roxas4620

Established Member
Toyspeed in tulsa and it's not a full race build just possible engine bore and sleeve do to piston chunk scraping the cylinder wall and possible valve job. Like I said I was curious if iron short block would work for my car or if anyone knows a cheaper place to rebuild

roxas4620

Established Member
Soooo is there any fellow gt500 owners who wants to help me out I'm 22 worked hard for this car no help from anyone and all the funds I had were pretty much spent on the car itself. I know it's a long shot but I have no other options sadly.

MattR

Established Member
Have you talked to the selling dealer? Even the ford racing or mmr short is going to set you back 3500 plus install and assembly. I don't see you getting out of it for under 7k.

roxas4620

Established Member
Anyone that could have been talked to has been I'm basically gunna be stuck paying on a gt500 that's gunna sit in my garage until I save up the money which will take a while. Hurray

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member

And Scene.....

Sorry OP, but a little homework and patience on this major purchase would've helped you here. Aftermarket parts and unkown tune on a dealer lot who probably knows 0 about the car's past equals potential disaster for new owner.

Ford Racing Short Block seems to be your cheapest option.

Users who are viewing this thread