IRL driver Paul Dana dies after crash

REPCobra10

Established Member
Did anyone see the crash in IRL at the Homestead Motor Speedway this morning. Paul Dana of Team Rahal hit Ed Carpenter after Carpenter spun out. Dana hit Carpenter at over 170mph. Tragically Dana was announced dead and Carpenter remains critical I believe. Check the video out on ESPN.com. It is the top story on the page. It's absolutely horrific and was hard for me to watch. Anyways, all take it easy.

2003 Silver

Banned
That was as nasty as it gets...truely horrific. Amazing the other guy is alive. He passed out a few drivers who had slowed down once the yellow lights went on and he supposidly didn't slow down.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
barring a catastrophic brake failure, there was no need for him to continue at that speed. they said there was at least 8 seconds between when carpenter spun to when Dana hit him. thats ample time, given that IRL tracks have numerous flashing yellow lights, plus spotters with radio communication to slow down. Scott Sharp was quoted as saying he had slown down enough to shift into 1st gear when he saw Danas car streak by him. i also believe that IRL has warning lights that come on the steering wheel when there is a yellow flag.

true it was a practice session, but they still have flag and safety crews working as if it was a race condition. seeing the accident from a few angles, it appeared he locked his right front wheel about 50 feet in front of the disabled Carpenter car.

do i feel sorry for his family yes, do i feel sorry for him, no, unless they prove there was a mechanical failure. he was given plenty of time to slow down and take avoiding action. i do feel sorry for his teammates. Rahal Racing pulled out of the race after Dana was pronounced dead. Danica Patrick qualified 3rd, and had a decent shot at a good finish, but did not start due to Rahal pulling his cars.

ive been a huge fan of american open wheel racing for years. the more i watch IRL the more im scared. if you watch their pitstops, they make more mistakes than Nascar Busch teams. there was one car that stalled in the pit lane, caught fire and the crew still restarted it and sent it out.

Users who are viewing this thread