Invisible Bra

1996SVT

Established Member
Need some opinions guys. My redfire Cobra is in the shop being painted. It's going to be more of a show job than factory paint job. Very slick with lots of clear.
Should I go with an invisible bra? Will that help or hurt with detailing? Will it protect my finish from stone chips and road debris eating the paint off? Or will it hurt the look of the paint and degrade the project as a whole?
I've never had one and I want to keep the finish pristine when I get it back.
So....yay or nay on helping out with protecting my expensive paint job?

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
well I have one on my stang on the front third of the hood and tips of the fenders. It definitely has taken a few good hits for the paint. however, if you are building a show car that you won't be driving too much I would probably skip on it, as in person you will see a line from the film, but if you do plan on driving the car then I would definitely get it. I would also get it behind the rear wheels on the lower part of the bumper, only place I want to add it on mine still.

you can see the line about 6" from the back edge of the headlight housing:
3.gif

a step back and its invisible:
5.gif

1996SVT

Established Member
well I have one on my stang on the front third of the hood and tips of the fenders. It definitely has taken a few good hits for the paint. however, if you are building a show car that you won't be driving too much I would probably skip on it, as in person you will see a line from the film, but if you do plan on driving the car then I would definitely get it. I would also get it behind the rear wheels on the lower part of the bumper, only place I want to add it on mine still.

you can see the line about 6" from the back edge of the headlight housing:
3.gif

a step back and its invisible:
5.gif

Looks good vsix! I believe I'm going to pull the trigger on this one!

CobraTerritory

Merica
Established Member
I've heard from a couple of people that once you put it on, its on. Peeling it off will / might take off paint. Thats just what i heard. Not sure if its true?

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
I have had one on my black terminator on the front and behind the rear wheels and it is great. I have no stone chips. I wax over it like any other part of the paint. Obviously you cannot PC over it or rub to hard or it will leave an abrasion you cannot fix.

It is expensive and if you have not put many on yourself will have to pay to have it done.

If your paint will be show quality,you can see the clear bra lines esp on a dark car and I would think if you are looking for trophies that may hurt .

If you area worried about damage to the front end from driving the car to shows , then a removeable vinyl bra would be better. you put it on for the drive then remove it. It is felt lined and will not hurt the paint finish.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Have one on my Redfire vert and more people don't notice it than people that do notice it. For some reason that color really hides it and it hardly shows. Now if you wax and leave the line there where it ends it really stands out but other than that it's very hard to notice. Go with 3m or don't do one and you'll be happy. I have it on my front end, sideview mirrors, behind my rear wheels, under my gas door, and all over my rollbar lol.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
I've heard from a couple of people that once you put it on, its on. Peeling it off will / might take off paint. Thats just what i heard. Not sure if its true?

no it should not peel up your paint so long as your properly remove it, using something like a hair dryer to heat it up as you peel it off. I used to have it around my door lock, but never ever use my key to unlock my doors so I removed it with zero damage.

as for the waxing issue, you just have to go along after-wards with a microfiber and scrub that edge and it will clean up.

as for polishing it, I used poorboys on it, and it cleaned up just like the paint did, as you can see from those pictures which was after my first detailing I had ever done. Some have suggested some plastic polishes in place of regular paint polishes but you can definitely polish the clear bra to clean it up. and I do suggest 3M's. My mom has it on her car as well and it is a quality product.

VADER*

*the original
Established Member
come on, i was serious :) i didnt know if it was some type of cling wrap or something.

SpectorV

Established Member
^^ you can buy roadwrap but its not the same thing at all, is only from point A to B then take it off kinda like a normal car bra is. Ive heard if its not put on right the plastic or what ever it is can be scratches on it that you can see~

xtremeskime21

Established Member
I never have had one before until I bought my DSG with one already on it. Chip free front/mirrors/a pillars. I would prefer having no chips and a line from the invisible bra than paint chips splattered over the front.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I have a clear bra on my C5Z06, installed by Pro-Tint in Kannapolis, NC. They used Venture Shield on mine and it has held up very nicely to the 12-14 open track events I run each year. I had the nose plus 24" up the hood, the headlight spats, the front of the fenders, the entire rocker panel down both sides, halfway up the rear quarter panel and the backs of the mirrors and stems.

-Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread