Investment advice needed after retirement???

white_gt500

Established Member
Well as I'm trying to help my parents break onto new grounds with some investment options including short/long term investments as they are looking at retiring soon, what have some of you that have retired looked into?

We have never really looked into any of this before and just trying to get directed to the right path.

I'm in school right for buss. management and know a little about stocks, bonds, dividends...etc so I'm trying to learn along with the process as well.

Thanks in advance

mysterio

Established Member
The general rule of thumb is that the older a person gets, and closer to a given goal, the more conservative they are with their investments, as time is not on their side for recovery as much as it once was.

Many of my retired/older clients favor conservative products such as bonds and fixed annuities.

Since I"m not licensed in Texas, I can't recommend anything specifically, but will say in general that a very popular product with older and retired folks is tax free municipal bonds, but ONLY if they're high quality, and highly rated.

This is a very good website to learn more about "muni's", including on a state by state basis:

Home - MunicipalBonds.com

Hope that helps.

ssssnake

Established Member
Since I'm getting close to retirement, I'm afraid of stocks, and I don't like annuities. I have some money in a fixed rate IRA, and in the other, real estate (rental property that gives me a return, and some trust deeds.) I am looking to diversify - maybe some stock (just a little). I was thinking about T-Bills, but I'm not so sure about our economy for that, and I'm not sure I want to buy any precious metals either.

I can buy into any of these too, but I need to do a little research:

1.Auto paper
2.Commercial paper
3.Convertible notes
4.Hedge funds
5.Foreign stock
6.Royalty rights
7.Equipment and leases
8.Commodities
9.Rights and warrants
10.American depository receipts
11.Personal property
12.Insurance policies
13.Farm real estate

Woody6799

Established Member
I would stay away from bonds, they take way too long to mature and do not give you enough return to really help you. Personally I have a Roth IRA and a deferred compensations plan (403b). The deferred comp is great, I have it at moderate risk and it is invested in the market, no shares etc to play with. Money in each pay check goes in and it makes me money.

You can put 16k a year into a 403b and 5k a year into a Roth IRA. Those are two of my retirement plans and I recommend them highly. Research on your own though, its a much better way to make a choice rather than a automotive forum...

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I would stay away from bonds, they take way too long to mature and do not give you enough return to really help you. Personally I have a Roth IRA and a deferred compensations plan (403b). The deferred comp is great, I have it at moderate risk and it is invested in the market, no shares etc to play with. Money in each pay check goes in and it makes me money.

You can put 16k a year into a 403b and 5k a year into a Roth IRA. Those are two of my retirement plans and I recommend them highly. Research on your own though, its a much better way to make a choice rather than a automotive forum...

The fact that you think a Roth Ira is an investment itself is proof positive that you should advise no one. A 401(k), 403(b), Roth IRA, or simple IRA are nothing but names to differentiate between them. Each has its own tax implications but they are all just a bucket in which you can hold your investments. They are not the investment; just the tax vehicle taking you to the goal.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Well as I'm trying to help my parents break onto new grounds with some investment options including short/long term investments as they are looking at retiring soon, what have some of you that have retired looked into?

We have never really looked into any of this before and just trying to get directed to the right path.

I'm in school right for buss. management and know a little about stocks, bonds, dividends...etc so I'm trying to learn along with the process as well.

Thanks in advance

Tell me you know that business is not abbreviated "buss" and isnt spelled bussiness :shrug:

You have no experience and you want to direct your parents future? Are you serious. Let them go to a professional.

white_gt500

Established Member
Good info, yea my mother decided to retire early and was penalized about $18k from her 401k from how she explained to me, rental properties are something my father has invested in already and are a steady income for sure.

They were throwing ideas around about investing in a small business for more income like a Dry cleaner or something of the sort too.

white_gt500

Established Member
Tell me you know that business is not abbreviated "buss" and isnt spelled bussiness :shrug:

You have no experience and you want to direct your parents future? Are you serious. Let them go to a professional.

In no way would I be the person to direct their future, and yes I'm just trying to find out what professionals others have used :beer:

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Crazy question, but why are you worried about your parents retirement plans? Did they ask you to ask around? I'm sure they are quite capable of handling their own retirement business, considering they've been on this planet much longer than you and have wisdom beyond your "buss management" college education. :shrug:

But he's a buss management student, he's credible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread