Investing?????

Adltdrvn

Established Member
Look into places like to Virgin islands for offshore banking. Your money is worth a lot more out there. The banking system in the states sucks ass and gives you very little return on your investment. It also help when your uncle knows people that are very good in investing money in the proper places. Without big risks you will never get big rewards. :beer:

Better keep your eye on your money. It probably won't be there when you're 45. Some Nigerian probably has it already.

Adltdrvn

Established Member
I am 22 years old and hopefully will be coming into some decent money in the next 3-6 months. At first I was thinking of a good down payment on a nice 03/04 Cobra or C5 ZO6, but quickly realized that isnt the smartest thing for me to do. I was wondering what a good way to invest some money is? I am totally ignorant on this subject as I have never been taught by anyone about the stock market or anything. Any brief beginners info you guys could throw out there would be great. I would want to leave the money untouched for a long time......like 20-30 years possibly.

How much is "decent money"?

Also, this would be the last place I would look for investing advice. Ask a professional.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
How much is "decent money"?

Also, this would be the last place I would look for investing advice. Ask a professional.

you realize there are several very accomplished people in the financial sector in here?

Most "professionals" can barely tie their own shoes, much less properly allocate a portfolio. The average financial advisor is nothing but a pitch man with a snazzy title (ever notice how they are all vice presidents)

Adltdrvn

Established Member
you realize there are several very accomplished people in the financial sector in here? Who?

Most "professionals" can barely tie their own shoes, much less properly allocate a portfolio. The average financial advisor is nothing but a pitch man with a snazzy title (ever notice how they are all vice presidents)Ask an Attorney, CPA, or CFP. Not a stockbroker.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Thanks for all the replys. I will most definitely talk to someone qualified before making a final decision, but as I said I knew very little on the subject and I like to atleast have an idea of what Im getting myself into. I will be shopping around to see what kind of rates are being offered on CD's currently in my area.

s_x_i

Established Member
Keep your money safe in the bank for now. Read read read... :read: find something you like the look of and then read some more!

Only when you have a full understanding of whatever it is you want to invest in should you go ahead and put your money into it. This goes for everything - stocks, real estate, small business - EVERYTHING.

Don't spend a penny until you understand what you are buying.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I put away $300k in an offshore saving account a little over a year ago and its already over $600k and still growing but I can't touch it until I'm 45 years old because thats how I set it up with my uncle....

Sorry, but you are full of it. :bs:

Off-Shore accts are used as tax shelters and rarely return a decent rate, let alone 100%/yr.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Look into places like to Virgin islands for offshore banking. Your money is worth a lot more out there. The banking system in the states sucks ass and gives you very little return on your investment. It also help when your uncle knows people that are very good in investing money in the proper places. Without big risks you will never get big rewards. :beer:

Wow that is hysterical. The Virgin Islands? Really? Do you mean the U.S. Virgin Islands or the British Virgin Islands? The U.S.V.I. follow U.S. banking laws. The B.V.I. follow Englands banking laws and regulated by their financial services commission. Neither provide the protection which is synonymous with "off-shore banking" and neither are havens for investing.

Once again :bs:

Prove me wrong and post a copy of your bank statement with the routing/account number blacked out.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
you realize there are several very accomplished people in the financial sector in here?

Most "professionals" can barely tie their own shoes, much less properly allocate a portfolio. The average financial advisor is nothing but a pitch man with a snazzy title (ever notice how they are all vice presidents)

And that is why I directly manage all of my investments.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Yeah, and the investments that were providing me with 12-18% return over the past 5 years are now down 7% in the past 8 months. So, while the market is down, I stopped adding to the portfolio and bought some CDs. I don't see the market coming back in the near future. Haven't pulled anything out, just shifted new cash to CDs.

When the market is down is exactly when I am adding to my stock positions. I only consider moving more of a percentage to money markets during huge market upswings. I don't time the market with a full portfolio move, just adjust my risk position.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Established Member

myself, vert99cobra, and a few others Im forgetting right now. I know FORDSVTFAN has an MBA from Chicago GSB

CPA-great for tax purposes, but if they knew what the capm was, Id be surprised
Attorney- Um, what does the average attorney know about investing?

CFP-uh, just a mildly more accomplished "stockbroker".

now a CFA, that might be more like it.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
When the market is down is exactly when I am adding to my stock positions. I only consider moving more of a percentage to money markets during huge market upswings. I don't time the market with a full portfolio move, just adjust my risk position.

Normally that's good advice. But you also know that an investment strategy is based on how much risk you are willing to assume, and your time base. I'm 60 and about to retire, so I'm more concerned about not losing my principal as I anticipate moving (out of freezing depressing Michigan). So I want to keep some liquid funds. My 5.25% CDs are better than the money market (which has been dropping), and stocks/mutuals FOR THE NEAR TERM (12-24 months). Under other circumstances (a longer time base), I'd buy low and wait for the next upswing in the market.

Regarding taking the advice of "investment professionals" - do you recall the adage "if you placed all the economists in the world end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion"? Reminds me of my own investment advisors - always arguing about the best investment, or my tax advisors arguing about the correct interpretation of tax law. Sometimes I think I'd do better flipping a coin or "asking the 8 ball". Hence my advice to the OP to diversify.

_GuRu_

Established Member
Wow that is hysterical. The Virgin Islands? Really? Do you mean the U.S. Virgin Islands or the British Virgin Islands? The U.S.V.I. follow U.S. banking laws. The B.V.I. follow Englands banking laws and regulated by their financial services commission. Neither provide the protection which is synonymous with "off-shore banking" and neither are havens for investing.

Once again :bs:

Prove me wrong and post a copy of your bank statement with the routing/account number blacked out.

That should shut that guy up, Im sure he won't post in this thread again. I dont know why people constantly have to make stuff up, is it so hard to just not post on a topic you dont know anything about?

Adltdrvn

Established Member
myself, vert99cobra, and a few others Im forgetting right now. I know FORDSVTFAN has an MBA from Chicago GSB

What would you advise the 22 y/o OP to do then? Let's assume he came into $15K. That would be a pretty good downpayment on a cobra like said originally.

Also, can you validate your response by providing your professional experience and education?

This may help other young svtp'ers....

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member

I just passed the second test of my CFA... hopefully next year I will have passed the third test next year at this time...

I am loling at some of the responses in this thread... first one guy putting $300,000 in an offshore account last year and now its %600,000:bs:? Please tell me what bank? I would love a 100% interest rate.

second... who the hell has a savings acount right now with %6.01 that is a rediculous interest rate on a savings account... and I am going to have to call :bs: on that one as well. Even last year when the interest rates were high %5.05 was about the highest you could find. Everything has settled to around %3.5 + or -. Plus one thing banks like to do is start you out a high rate and cut you down without you even knowing. I bet if you checked now your rate is about %3.00

Anyone who says they are making a profit on their 401k's right now in this thread are full of crap. Because of the risk right now I have all of my 401k in a money market account with decent returns. Most investment firm managed 401k's are even or in the negatives right now.

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
Laddering short-term CD's is a smart way to get a return for your money, if you can tolerate having an amount of cash tied up for a specific time period.

TIPs, or "short term Treasury bonds", serve the same purpose, too...

I manage my money directly and contribute when I can.
Right now, I'm not working and not contributing but I still watch what's going on in the financial markets day-to-day.

There are ways of making money which incur high risk, but most people don't have either the capital or luck to take advantage of unpredictable stock moves during the day...."day trading" is hit-or-miss, and typically you break even if you're lucky.
I don't have a crystal ball or big money, but I'm still invested in oil stocks long-term which give me a quarterly dividend return.

Quadcammer

Established Member
What would you advise the 22 y/o OP to do then? Let's assume he came into $15K. That would be a pretty good downpayment on a cobra like said originally.

Also, can you validate your response by providing your professional experience and education?

This may help other young svtp'ers....

I was employed by citigroup and morgan stanley for a little while, and have been doing Risk Analysis at the New York Stock Exchange for going on three years. B.A. in Economics, and Im about 66% done with an MBA at the Leonard N. Stern of Business at New York University, with concentrations on finance/financial instruments & markets. Im also preparing for the level I portion of the CFA exam in December. Fwiw, Im 24.

I think my first post in this thread gives a decent recommendation, with the exception of the real estate portion.

Mid to high level junk bonds,
index funds
sector etfs, etc.

Obviously it will take a lot of research and learning for a complete neophyte to understand what funds/sectors to invest in, but with some practice and a whole lot of reading, the aforementioned investments should provide a decent return.

Users who are viewing this thread