Investing in stocks.. Advice Needed?

NastySVT

KindofaBigDeal
Established Member
I have some interest in investments in the stock market. I barely know anything but Im thinking about getting my feet wet. Looking for some advice from knowledgable investors. Thanks guys

Robert Francis

Established Member
Do yourself a favor and read some current books on stocks, bonds, annuties, and other types of investments. Before you even think about investing, be aware that there are "no" guarantees - and the best protection you can have against making any "foolish" investments is your "knowledge."

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I have some interest in investments in the stock market. I barely know anything but Im thinking about getting my feet wet. Looking for some advice from knowledgable investors. Thanks guys

Stock Market investing is not as simple as some people would have you believe. The commercials for e-trade and Scott-trade make it seem easier than it is. Well, I guess it is easy if you dont mind losing money.

There is no simple way to explain to you how to successfully invest your money in the market. The best thing is to read some books and study the way the market works.

s_x_i

Established Member
buy low sell high! :rockon:

Seriously, don't mess with it... get yourself a good financial planner, look at retirement and put it away in diversified funds with great track history. Draft it from your bank every month and forget about it for the next 40 years. :beer:

SB Lightning

Young Buck
Established Member
I started investing at the age of 16. I was always interested in the stock market and I did all the research on it myself. I don't know if any of you saw the piece on Real Sports about Lenny Dykstra but that guy is amazing. If you're inexperienced I would definately start with blue chip stocks. They are well-known stocks that won't make your rich in a week but they in theory should gain a small amount. But like others have said nothing is certain.

I started to get a little more risky with my stocks by buying a couple thousand worth of Artes Medical. I originally bought it at $4.30, then went down a BUNCH. I bought a bunch more when I thought it hit the bottom with the risk of the company going bankrupt to try and average down. I'm up a little, but this stock has me wondering if I should hold or GTFO.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I started investing at the age of 16. I was always interested in the stock market and I did all the research on it myself. I don't know if any of you saw the piece on Real Sports about Lenny Dykstra but that guy is amazing. If you're inexperienced I would definately start with blue chip stocks. They are well-known stocks that won't make your rich in a week but they in theory should gain a small amount. But like others have said nothing is certain.

I started to get a little more risky with my stocks by buying a couple thousand worth of Artes Medical. I originally bought it at $4.30, then went down a BUNCH. I bought a bunch more when I thought it hit the bottom with the risk of the company going bankrupt to try and average down. I'm up a little, but this stock has me wondering if I should hold or GTFO.

Maybe you should look into mutual funds. That sounded like a bad idea from the beginning.

NastySVT

KindofaBigDeal
Established Member
Thanks guys i was kinda looking into doing some day trading. Possibly investing $1000 into yahoo stock. I think it might be a little more involved than i thought and i will def research it more.

WHITESVTCOBRA

Established Member
haha yea, yahoo stock is still on the decline from the hype over microsofts buyout. And I would recommend watching marketwatch.com to get an idea of industry news, and some idea's for stock purchases and research.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
AMR is super low, and inevitably will go up...just a matter of how long it'll take to go up. It was in the low $5s yesterday. Haven't checked it today....

I don't dabble in the stock market too much...other than my stock options.

NastySVT

KindofaBigDeal
Established Member
AMR is super low, and inevitably will go up...just a matter of how long it'll take to go up. It was in the low $5s yesterday. Haven't checked it today....

What is AMR? I just checked its at 5.92. Says 52 week range could go up over 30. Thats something id love to get my hands on.

Last edited:

cobramark

Established Member

Agreed, good buy!

ka3ak

Breast Connoisseur
Established Member
look man, day trading = loss of money unless you are really good at it. you're not and you won't be for the next 5 years. if you are really interested in it, buy the CFA prep books, take the exam up to level 3, then invest.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Unless you have both insider information, and money to put at risk, the best advice is:

1. Don't try to time the market. Don't react to short-term ups/downs.
2. Diversify your investments across multiple stocks, bonds, mutuals, and CDs.
3. Within stocks and mutuals, diversify across large/small cap, domestic and international
4. Hire a financial planner whose compensation is based on the amount your portfolio gains -- not just a percentage of your investment or flat fees. That way, he's motivated to make your portfolio grow.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i got lucky with home depot stock a few years back, paid 6 grand in and after 5 years took 10 grand out. that was in 2003

GodStang

Established Member
There use to be Fantasy Stock markets such as yahoo. It was a good learning tool since it uses real stock market and you do not lose real money. Lets you learn for awhile before jumping in. Not sure if any of those exist any more.

NastySVT

KindofaBigDeal
Established Member
AMR has gone up $3 a share from $5 to just over $8 in the past month. I chose to put $500 into US Airways stock that was at $2.40(to get more shares), got 202 shares and now shot up to $3.58 and hopefully it keeps climbing due to the quarterly report comming out today.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
I just started messing around today also. My Scottrade deposit finally showed up this morning so I bought a couple hundred shares of Wamu stock @ $5.44. It fell to a low of $3.03 last week (and sucks I couldn't buy then) but should slowly rise. It was @ $41 a share this time last year.

Users who are viewing this thread