Internet connection dropping UPDATE

Vigilante

Established Member
Continued: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/road-side-pub-17/885304-bad-internet-connection.html

So I think I figured out the issue. The internet only acts funny between 10am and 6pm on the weekdays. Also, it's only when we are using Netflix or YouTube. If we shut off Netflix and just surf the web or quick google something in that time period, it doesn't show an issue. This gets so bad sometimes that I can't even get the Netflix menu to load by the time I get booted from the internet.

My ISP is Cox, I searched and I found a few sites claiming they throttle, and caps range from 100gb/month to 250gb/month but no one knows for certain. The worst part is when I call and ask them to test my connection, it always comes back "perfect" on their end with no explanation on why it is acting funny.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone before?

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Continued: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/road-side-pub-17/885304-bad-internet-connection.html

So I think I figured out the issue. The internet only acts funny between 10am and 6pm on the weekdays. Also, it's only when we are using Netflix or YouTube. If we shut off Netflix and just surf the web or quick google something in that time period, it doesn't show an issue. This gets so bad sometimes that I can't even get the Netflix menu to load by the time I get booted from the internet.

My ISP is Cox, I searched and I found a few sites claiming they throttle, and caps range from 100gb/month to 250gb/month but no one knows for certain. The worst part is when I call and ask them to test my connection, it always comes back "perfect" on their end with no explanation on why it is acting funny.

yeah sounds like QoS on their end.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

unless youre downloading 20-30 blu-ray movies a month, you shouldnt be anywhere near those caps.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Have you contacted your ISP to see what your monthly bandwidth allowance is?
Most ISP's will track your monthly usage, you should be able to view the tracker online to see what you are currently pulling.
My ISP for example has a 500GB allowance per month.

Vigilante

Established Member
Its running through a PS3 in the living room, and a roku player in the bedroom.

Every time I call them they always say I haven't got any issues, caps, or overages. I check my statements and I haven't gotten a warning... ever.

What brand of splitter should I get? And do I connect it to the tv or just leave it hanging?

Come Monday I'm calling again.

SciFiHiFi

Established Member
Sounds to me like the problem is always there but only noticeable while streaming.
If your modem is supplied by the ISP, demand a replacement.
If not, try upgrading the firmware. How old is the modem?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd be calling the ISP several times a day bitching about it. If they wont replace your modem, put it in the microwave, then hook it back up and then get your replacement.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
unless youre downloading 20-30 blu-ray movies a month, you shouldnt be anywhere near those caps.

You'd be surprised..

My wife and I stream Netflix often, but nowhere near 20-30 BD movies a month. Most of the large downloads I do, happen at work.

datausage.jpg

I'm grandfathered in on a plan that doesn't get charged for "overages" luckily. Once that changes, my house will probably no longer have internet.

ademily87

Established Member
wtF!!!!! Home internet has limits now??? News to me lol

Sucks cox isn't doing anything about it. I had them when stationed in Virginia and had literally ZERO problems. Have you talked to anybody else on the phone than a regular phone service person? I'd take it up up up!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

wildride02gt

Established Member
first, 10am-6pm is peak usage for ISP's due to the load from businesses, cell phone servers, schools, and home usage. To keep the ISP from getting overloaded and crashing servers, the ISP's throttle and cap data rates. This starts at the residential level first, as that is considered low priority. Most of the time, this is not noticed for normal browsing. Streaming, however, uses much more data, so they often slow the data rate , mainly to discourage the users from streaming during these hours.
what can be done about this? Not much. check with your ISP to see what your connection level/billing rate is. Some of the lower tiers get rocked hard when the servers start getting loaded up. The higher tiers are less likely to have this happen, basically you pay to NOT get throttled and capped.
Good Luck!

Vigilante

Established Member
Modem is three years old, the SB-6120 Motorola, and I own it. They have a couple new models out, but it is still a DOCSIS 3.0. How would I go about doing an update on it since there is no USB port?

Also how do I check my usage? My bill never says anything but advertisements for other services.

As for capped and considered "low priority" that's :bs: since I have their top of the line plan. If I'm considered Low Priority then I'm dropping a tier level and saving money.

Vigilante

Established Member
Ok so I just called cox and they said that they will send a tech for free to check this out. My data cap is 400GB and my average usage is 167GB.

Users who are viewing this thread