Intermittent starting issue, any ideas?

lanco123

Established Member
Hey guys,

2014 GT base package. Only 9,000 miles, no engine mods. The car is not a daily driver, and sometimes sits several weeks (or in the winter, months) at a time without getting driven. Garage kept car.

Intermittently, I have been having an issue where I sit down, press the clutch pedal down fully, have the other foot on the brake pedal (not like that really matters to start it), and turn the key to the start position. The car simply does absolutely nothing. No noises, no clicking, no turning the engine over. I tried letting the clutch out and then pressing it in again, wiggling the shifter, you name it, and nothing seems to help identify or correct the issue. THE CAR ALWAYS ENDS UP STARTING within a few attempts, but I can't identify the issue. The last time it did it, I simply held the key in the start position for literally 10 seconds and then it finally turned over and started. I want to make it clear that this problem is VERY intermittent. Sometimes it goes weeks or seemingly months without doing it.

I did install a Barton shifter and bracket over a year ago and can't say that the issue happened before that. But I drive the car so infrequently that it's difficult to really identify when the issue started. Plus, the problem is so intermittent that it also makes it more difficult to pinpoint the problem. It seems like it's a sensor/contact/safety switch of some sort issue, but that's just a guess. The car does have power to the accessories when the problem is occurring. It isn't like its an all out loss of power issue.

Any ideas?

nyuk98GT

Established Member
lanco123,

Do you keep the battery on a trickle charger (Battery Tender-like device) when not in use? Orignal battery? I ask because it sounds like there is no power at all to the starter when this problem pops up. It could be the clutch safety switch, too. Maybe you could (carefully) pull the switch and give it a look-over and decide if a new switch would be warranted.

That's all I got. i am not a very good electrical gremlin hunter.

HTH,

Chris

lanco123

Established Member
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I do keep the car on a Battery Tender over the winter when it is not being driven for 3 months straight. But during the other 9 months of the year, I don't install the tender because the car usually gets driven once or twice every few weeks. I do believe I'm living on borrowed time with the factory battery though, so you may getting at something there. But I never had a faulty battery give such intermittent issues; usually, in my experience, one day the battery is functioning, next day it is not (if indeed the battery fails).

I seemed to remember that someone else had a similar problem and they said it turned out to be the clutch safety switch. I'll have the dealership look at it the next time I have the car in for service or inspection, as I'm still under full extended warranty. Although I can't imagine they'll be jumping to replace the part if the symptoms aren't occurring at the time :).

Any other ideas? Hopefully we are on to something here.

Thanks.

Matt

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Can you hear the fuel system prime when you turn the key forward? Have you put a multi meter on the battery to test it's voltage?

Make sure the floor mat isn't between the pedal and carpet, I've had that happen.

lanco123

Established Member
Can you hear the fuel system prime when you turn the key forward? Have you put a multi meter on the battery to test it's voltage?

Make sure the floor mat isn't between the pedal and carpet, I've had that happen.

That's a really good question. It happens so infrequently that it catches me off guard and I don't recall if the fuel system primes or not. I will make sure I'm absolutely paying attention to that every time I start the car from this point forward.

The battery has not been tested at all; but like I said, I would not be surprised one bit if we are running on borrowed time. I'm almost certain its the factory battery.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
When you turn key to "on" position, do the dash lights and radio come on? If they do, and the car cranks over good and starts (eventually), then I'd replace the clutch safety switch.

First symptoms of bad (or discharged) battery are typically very low (or just a click from solenoid) cranking speed when attempting to start.

Also, just look around at the obvious things..... battery/cable connections tight? Grounds??? clean and tight?

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Experienced this as well. Starts after I move and turn the steering wheel tilt in different positions. Has something to do with clocking/wiring in the ignition. Others have had success swapping starter relays. Good luck.

lanco123

Established Member
When you turn key to "on" position, do the dash lights and radio come on? If they do, and the car cranks over good and starts (eventually), then I'd replace the clutch safety switch.

First symptoms of bad (or discharged) battery are typically very low (or just a click from solenoid) cranking speed when attempting to start.

Also, just look around at the obvious things..... battery/cable connections tight? Grounds??? clean and tight?

Yep, there is definitely power to everything (including interior electronics) when the symptoms occur. And, when I attempted to start the car for the first time the other day, the fuel system definitely primed but when I turned the key the car did not turn over for a good 5 seconds or so.

When the car eventually turns over, it turns over strong and always starts immediately. The clutch safety switch is definitely one of the main things on my radar at this point. I appreciate your input.

lanco123

Established Member
Experienced this as well. Starts after I move and turn the steering wheel tilt in different positions. Has something to do with clocking/wiring in the ignition. Others have had success swapping starter relays. Good luck.

Good grief, I sure hope this isn't the case with my car. I do appreciate your input though. Unless anyone has any additional suggestions, I may try to have Ford replace the clutch safety switch under the full extended warranty I have (still, good luck with that...), and then move on to the starter relay or other troubleshooting options if need be.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Swapped my switch with my other stang while experiencing the prob. No dice. Maybe it’ll work for you.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
I haven’t had an issue with mine ever since I decided to keep the steering wheel tilt in the same position (down).

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
You may be able to use a jumper wire to temporarily bypass the clutch safety switch. At least, we could do this test in the old days, haha. If you can bypass it, then at least it would help in diagnosing the problem.

lanco123

Established Member
I just wanted to follow up on this post to hopefully help out someone in the future. My mechanic diagnosed the issue; he switched the starter relay and rear defrost relay just to eliminate the possibility of the issue being a faulty relay. It was the first thing he did, and he said he wasn’t really expecting the relay to be the problem. But sure enough, the problem has not resurfaced at all since the relays were switched. And I should say that the intermittent start issue was occurring around 50% of the time by now. The car would always end up starting (eventually) but I’d have to turn the key back and forth or hold the key in the start position for 5-10 seconds as described in my first post. But again, it appears the issue was a faulty relay. Who would have thought. Hope this helps.

lanco123

Established Member

And I just now noticed that you mentioned the relay in this post. I read the part about adjusting the steering wheel (and tried that with no success) but inadvertently glossed over the relay possibility. Thanks. And obviously in my case that was indeed the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread