Intermittent no charge

MG0h3

Established Member
During tuning I noticed some low battery voltage readings on the datalogs. I didnt even pay attention until I started doing some logs at night and noticed the lights got dim right when I went WOT. I had just changed the upper pulley and thought I was having belt slip but I rectified that problem and still have the intermittent charge problem.

So I went through about 8 logs and now that Ive looked closely, there is no set point that the loss of charge happens. On one it stops charging at like 3500 and doesnt pick back up until a few seconds after Im off the throttle. The majority have the loss of charge at around 4800-5300 with two almost identical at 5100. On a couple of them the loss of charging only occurs for like 500 RPM.

Its a nations alt. with the external reg. I called Nations about testing the reg. and they actually said there is no way to test it which I found odd.

So, anybody experience anything like this or done any testing on an external reg?

Did some simple voltage drop tests while I was warming it up before a log today and nothing glaring. 14.5 with all the lights on and multiple rpm increments. AVG volts while WOT 13.5-8 outside of the drop. Car has a stock lower and Nations come with an oversized pulley.

Going to poke around a little more tomorrow but Im thinking I may have to shotgun a regulator at it.

olympic

Established Member
This may be similar to the problem Mechman owners are having with a flickering alternator light. The ECM controls alternator output by turning on/off the +12v signal in the exciter wire to the alternator. The solution is to splice in a +12v ignition switched power wire so that the alternator stays "on" all the time and voltage is regulated solely by the regulator, not the ECM. You could quickly rig up something temporary direct to the battery just to test if it solves the problem.

MG0h3

Established Member
I wasnt aware the ECM had any control over the reg. Good to know as this could easily be the problem. Gonna take a look at the wiring and what not from underneath today as I havent even gotten there yet.

klcmcse

Established Member
mine was intermittent, CEL the 2-3 minutes OK, took it to the Stealership and -$100 deductible Premiumcare warranty, NEW alternator.
No issues since...
oB

MG0h3

Established Member
Ya Im really thinking its the reg personally. Losing the energize signal to the alt. Hopefully Ill find a loose wire under there later.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I am not aware of many of the new style ignition switches having problems,
But up thru the fox platform , it was a comon problem , where the switch was seperating and causing problems .

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Subbing. Hope the nations alternator didn't go bad.

Users who are viewing this thread