Intermittent ABS/Baterry light?

2003 CobraSVT

Established Member
The other night i was out driving the car around at about 120mph maxing out the revs in 3rd gear right around redline, and the abs and battery light came on and the gauge cluster shut off and reset sending the needles to max position and then back to zero, the guage cluster started acting up and kinda got dim. when it came back on the odometer did not lose the trip miles. Now alot of the time not all the time but alot of the time when i go over 100mph to 120 and up this happens the abs light and battery light lights up and the gauges get dim and the needles reset by maxing out all the way. the odometer shuts off then comes back on but i dont lose trip miles? At the time that this happens, the car does not feel and different and drives fine even though the cluster is going haywire. It only happens when i am flooring the car and it starts to get close to redline. so i am at a loss to what this might be? If anyone could chime in here that would be great. Thanks in advance. I have a 3.1 pulley, the predator tune and full exhaust with no cats, and also K&N FIPK. Oh yea i have also disconnected the battery and even re tuned with the predator to see if this maybe had something to do with it but it didnt help.

Last edited:

i8u

Established Member
Go turn on your car and go give the feed wire coming out of your power distribution box a tug or two..... :pop:

i8u

Established Member
Check for a bad wire coming off you alternator that rubs on the block when the engine is reved also. Get you alternator tested.......

2003 CobraSVT

Established Member
I checked to see if the wire coming from the distribution box was loose. I wiggled and nothing happened. I haven't checked the alternator and did not see a wire coming from the alternator that rubs on the block. But my problem seems a little different from yours. My car runs fine when it happens, but the dash cluster just goes haywire, which makes it hard to race because I don't know when to shift because the needles are not registering. I guess I need to get my alternator tested. So if the wire from the alternator rubs on the block that makes the gauge cluster go haywire? Also if its not 1 of those 2 solutions what do you suppose it could be? Thanks again. I really appreciate you asking if ive have figured it out yet.

i8u

Established Member
the wire of you alt would cause you charging light to flicker and eventaully stay on while you give it throttle while producing a load on the engine.

Take the outer nut off of the feed wire and then try wigging it. The inner nut might be loose Which would cause you gauges to sweep as you are describing....

2003 CobraSVT

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, the battery light and the abs light ended up staying on permanently after a while, so I took the car to ford, and they replaced the alternator. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it very much! Just got it back today so hopefully that fixed the problem. The abs and battery light are off now. Going to drive it for a while and see if I have anymore problems.

Users who are viewing this thread