Intermittant high idle troubleshooting

jmichalicek

Established Member
It's been awhile, but I'm back and still pretty much incompetent when it comes to fixing my car. Searching hasn't yielded the info I'm looking for (and mostly just more questions), so hopefully you guys will help me out.

Thursday my '99 Cobra started acting up idling while I was on my way to work. I'd let off the gas and rather than the slow drop down to 1100ish rpms while rolling with the clutch in, the idle would just stay at whatever rpms I had been at. Push in at 3000, it's staying at 3000. When the car came to a complete stop then the rpms would drop down to abut 1500. No check engine light, so I assume no codes to check for, right?

Friday the car ran perfectly fine, no high idle, no hanging idle.

This morning I fire her up and the car was idling a little high, but not as high, at about 1000-1200 rpms. I was just moving out of the way to get my other car out so I didn't drive far. The rpms did not hang when I pushed in the clutch this time, they dropped at a normal rate, but to 1000-1200 rather than the usual 800.

Where do I start? Based on what I've read, the TPS seems to be the most likely culprit. I've read things saying to check and adjust the voltage and others saying not to adjust the voltage on our cars. IAC? It seems the usual problem there is getting stuck shut and so dying or not starting, not causing a high idle and non-dropping rpms (which I had years ago and replaced it, so I can deal with that easily enough if it is bad). Is there anything else that I can easily check?

jmichalicek

Established Member
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I read one thing saying not to do that, but after re-reading, I think it meant not to go in there with just any old cleaner or something abrasive like a tooth brush due to the coating. It looks like just spraying some proper TB cleaner in there is ok.

jmichalicek

Established Member
Picked up some tb cleaner that claims to be safe for coated tb's and gave it a spray and hit the spring with some oil yesterday. It seems to be idling more smoothly at 800-900 rpms after it warms up both yesterday and today on the way to work.

I just sprayed, let it sit for a bit, then sprayed again while holding the buttferfly open to let the second round of spray push anything that was loosened up/dissolved away. I may do it again with a proper wipe down with a rag to see if it smooths out any more, but it does seem better today so hopefully that's all it was.

Users who are viewing this thread