interior vibration at 6k rpm in second?

robraySVT

Established Member
Hey guys,
I have an 03' SVT Focus 2 door. Well, I usually cruise with the window either cracked or down on the drivers side because of the pretty mild weather we have here in Texas. Tonight, although the temp is very mild(around 65), it is very windy so I rolled the window all the way up. Well, I hit a few stoplights on the way home and I noticed that whenever I was in second gear and the rpms would rise before shifting to 3rd right at 6k rpms and above the whole interior would make a loud vibration sound until I shifted to 3rd. I tried to duplicate this loud vibration with the window cracked and down, but it didn't do it then. It also wouldn't do it with the window up when I was in first at 6k rpm about to shift to second only in second gear. Has anyone else experienced this? I thought it might just be the engine vibration causing the interior to make a loud vibration noise. If anyone knows I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Rob:) BTW my car only has around 1,400 miles on it. I really haven't had a chance to see if it does it in 3rd and 4th. I don't have enough open road around here:cryying:

nocarey

Established Member
I haven't noticed a vibration problem like you're having but I did notice this. . . whenever I have the 2 front windows down(I have a 5-door) and am cruising 20 to 45 mph I get this sound that is about to rip my eardrums out, sounds like one of those big green army helicopters getting ready to fly by. The dealer claims it's some kind of wind noise. He had a Cobra owner said the say the same thing. Funny. . . if I lower the 2 rear windows(all windows down)it goes away. Maybe it's the mags?:shrug:

Last edited:

robraySVT

Established Member
I guess I'm the only one that has had this happen with the windows up at 6k rpm in second gear. The whole interior shutters and vibrates until I shift to third. Ford quality?:shrug: I guess I'll take it in and see if they know what the problem is. Do you guys think that a computer update may fix this?

Primaris

Established Member
robray,

It sounds like you are just hearing the natural resonance of your dash. Our four banger does not have an external balance shaft so you will have more vibration than a four with one.
If you think the vibration is a problem take your car into the dealer and give them very specific instructions on how to duplicate the problem and see if they can fix it.

nocarey,

What you are experancing is from the wind. I don't have the 5 door, but at a very specific speed with my sun roof open I can get a pounding wind resonance. If I crack one of the side windows it goes away. Read your manual that came with the car. It mentions wind buffeting. I've also had the same thing happen when driving in a pickup with the rear window open.

quivvy

Whaaaaack.....
Established Member
mine does that too! in 2nd gear at HIGH RPMS. only with windows up can i hear it. try this and lemme know what happens.... i think it has to do with the shift lever vibrating. if u hold ur hand on the lever and hold it in place, it stops? mine does it, its weird. check that out, if it fixes it lmk im curious

nocarey

Established Member
Primaris,

thanks for the 411, I'll be doing some reading tonight.:burnout:

robraySVT

Established Member
Update: I reved it to 6k rpms today in second, and upon further inspection the noise seems to be the the shifter vibrating and the shuttering sound coming from the tranny area:shrug: I'll take it in on Saturday and see what they say. Thanks for the info everyone.

Primaris

Established Member
Originally posted by robraySVT
Update: I reved it to 6k rpms today in second, and upon further inspection the noise seems to be the the shifter vibrating and the shuttering sound coming from the tranny area:shrug: I'll take it in on Saturday and see what they say. Thanks for the info everyone.

I have the same vibration in my shifter. But, I don't mind it.

jsostakas

Established Member
The only thing that rattles inside my 03 SVTF is the cover plate for the moonroof motor, where the switch is. If I a finger on it, the ratteling goes away.

One day, when I am tired of it, I will take it off and put some soft foam on the inside of it to keep it from ratteling.

SilverOH3SVT

Jettai Master/Texas LEO
Established Member
I haven't noticed anything like that. That's weird. Hey fool, you going to my GtG Friday if Denton's open?

robraySVT

Established Member
I listened to it again tonight, and I believe that the motor reving harder and working harder is just causing a slight vibration sound in the shifter and surrounding plastic. It really doesn't bother me too much as it only happens at 6k-7k rpms. I just wanted to make sure nothing is wrong with my car. Do you guys think I should still take it in and get it looked at? Thanks, Rob

Primaris

Established Member
If it is your dash, yes. If it is just the shifter sounding like it wants to jump through the roof, na. That is just the car telling you it's happy.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by nocarey
I haven't noticed a vibration problem like you're having but I did notice this. . . whenever I have the 2 front windows down(I have a 5-door) and am cruising 20 to 45 mph I get this sound that is about to rip my eardrums out, sounds like one of those big green army helicopters getting ready to fly by. The dealer claims it's some kind of wind noise. He had a Cobra owner said the say the same thing. Funny. . . if I lower the 2 rear windows(all windows down)it goes away. Maybe it's the mags?:shrug:

almost any car will have an inbalance somewhere depending on how far one or more windows are down. its just wind buffeting and the air pressure changes makes your ears feel funny. Thats why so many suv's and minivans have venting rear windows.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
i dont get vibrations, but the shifter will rattle a little bit if you hold it just right at high rpms. My mustangs, rx7, miatas, and 260 z's did that too.

Users who are viewing this thread