Interfering with Public Duties?

dfw99cobra

Established Member
A buddy of mine was downtown over the weekend with his cousins. His cousins got arrested for Public Intoxication but he didn't know this. When he walked up and saw his cousins being taken away he asked the officer, "why were they arrested?". The officer said, "hands behind your head" and he got arrested for interfering with public duties. When he asked the lady at the jail she just laughed and said "the cop must've been having a bad night". I was wondering if any of the LEO's could give me a better description of this charge. Also, because I know someone will make the comment, my friend was sober because he was the DD. He lost the coin toss, had to be the DD, and still went to jail.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
A buddy of mine was downtown over the weekend with his cousins. His cousins got arrested for Public Intoxication but he didn't know this. When he walked up and saw his cousins being taken away he asked the officer, "why were they arrested?". The officer said, "hands behind your head" and he got arrested for interfering with public duties. When he asked the lady at the jail she just laughed and said "the cop must've been having a bad night". I was wondering if any of the LEO's could give me a better description of this charge. Also, because I know someone will make the comment, my friend was sober because he was the DD. He lost the coin toss, had to be the DD, and still went to jail.

I dont doubt he was sober, but I do doubt the veracity of his statements. That single statement without more wont get that charge. I would be questioning your buddy, he was more persistent than that and asked a few questions or physically got in the officers way.

Your buddy interfered with the officer doing his job and he had no right or standing to be involved.

dfw99cobra

Established Member
Well I wasn't there obviously but he's never been one to exaggerate which is why I believed he didn't say anything further but thank you for the clarification.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Well I wasn't there obviously but he's never been one to exaggerate which is why I believed he didn't say anything further but thank you for the clarification.

People often condense episodes and consider the total interaction as a singular event. But if he did exactly as he claims and was never warned that he was interfering, the charge should be easily dismissed. But since it is a criminal charge, he needs to get an attorney to fight it. The sooner the better, as often times the attorney in conference with the state attorney/prosecutor can get this taken care of.

byeofcr

Established Member
awesome i just learned about this the other day in my elements of crime.
obstructing a police officer is (not verbatim) after due notice refuses to or neglects to provide lawfully required info or makes an untrue misleading or exaggerated statement or WILLFULLY hinders, delays, or obstructs a peace officer in the discharge of his duty.
as per my statutes anyway.

mannnnn i cant wait to graduate!!!

again im no leo, just had to know this the other day.. sounds like your buddy may be leaving out some info.. as stated.

Users who are viewing this thread