Interesting turbo setup.....93 Cobra content

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Saw some mention in this months MM&FF about both rear mount and rear quarter mount turbos.

Where the heck did they get those "wide body quarters" for that 93 Cobra? :nono:

They say you don't have to hack up your engine compartment to install the turbo kit, but I'd consider adding new rear quarters hacking up... :pop:

PJM99

Established Member
I would imagine the paint burns off the quarters after a while.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Yep, I imagine you are right. Not much airflow through there, and the turbos get very hot. Now, if you had some way to vent it in there, and wrapped the turbos to keep them from radiating so much heat, and protected your quarters, that might be a little more interesting. But adding those quarters simply woudn't work for me...

blown 03

Established Member
ya true true but still it has a sleeper look and adding nearly 1000 rwhp is pretty overwhelming!!!.....unlike the STS turbo setup it doesn't set near the ground to collect dust and water

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
turbos at the rear of a car would not be that hot. Which brings up the question, how efficient is a rear mounted turbo? :dw:

buddha93

Established Member
I've always wonderded somewhat myself Lee. With the turbo so far from the exhaust heat, I've wondered how well one would spool up. From what I've heard and seen lately, they work just fine and show little or no turbo lag.

Unless your a serious street racer, I really don't see the point. Is it cool? For now, probably. In a year or so, probably not.

Personally, I think one of the better engineered kits out there is the one offered by HPM. They have a twin setup that places the turbos just behind the front bumper cover, out of the engine bay. This is only on the later model Stangs like the 03/04 Cobras and the like. I'd like to see if one could be made to work like that on a Fox body.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
That's just it, though guys - turbos don't have to have heat to spool up. They just need exhaust flow. In fact, I'll wager that the cooler they run, the better off you are. Otherwise, they heat the intake charge up too much. Granted, heat transfer from the exhaust is a given, but I'm betting the exhaust heat will be MUCH less in a rear mount app. that a front mount.

Or maybe I'm just insane. :D

Users who are viewing this thread