Interesting Info on "Redfire" Paint

RedfireBeast

MACA Member #29
Established Member
I just learned tonight that the 03 Cobra has "Redfire" and the 04 Cobra has "Redfire Red" the paint codes are different for the two years and the color is slightly different. I have had my car parked next to 03 Redire before and have always thought the color was different becuase the 04 paint has more "metal flake" in it.

I have not verified the actual paint codes but you can see the difference side by side in the sun. I always have people ask me if the paint is factory color.

Last edited:

RedfireBeast

MACA Member #29
Established Member
F8LBITEva said:
I looked in my ford catalog, and I could only come up with one code (G2) for Redfire in both 03 and 04. :shrug:

I am going from what I was told but still need to verify the code as well...is the paint code just the (2) letters?

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
The redfire color responds really well to different glazes/sealants/waxes applied to it. If the color codes are the same and you still notice a difference, this is probably the reason.

01satinsilver

Official NJ MACA Pimp
Established Member
Heres another one for you guys to ponder.... My 03 is Dark Shadow Gray... the 07 Focus I just bought is Liquid Gray Metallic.. Both of them have the SAME paint code. The silver on the late 03 and 04 cobra is Silver metallic but on other ford products is called CD Silver with again the same codes.

RedfireBeast

MACA Member #29
Established Member
F8LBITE said:
1st run Cobra's were Satin Silver, 2nd run on were Silver Metallic. Big Difference.

both in 03? Now that you mention it seams the satin silver has like a light yellow tinge to it...while the silver metalic has a lot of flake and pops in the sun.

01satinsilver

Official NJ MACA Pimp
Established Member
The satin silver has alot of flake in it too but its a tad darker(more gray). IMO (not that Im bias or anything) the Satin Silver was nicer than the Silver Metallic. I believe the 05+ GT's are satin silver again.

Needcobra

Established Member
Im guna call and see if i can find out for u. I have a buddy i want to tech-school with thats is a ford body/paint guy. I call him 2morro and ask him the code(s).

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
03 - http://www.americanmuscle.com/03.html

04 - http://www.americanmuscle.com/04.html

Who knows how reliable it is, but it seems pretty good. Both paint codes for redfire = G2 = same paint :shrug:

Both listed as redfire too, on that site, not that it means much what they call it. Variations of the name are probably a marketing ploy. I think they are calling the 05/06 redfire "Redfire Pearl Metallic," but it also has the same paint code, G2.

It could just be a finicky color to produce consistently at the factory, but I know I've personally seen my paint look quite different with different glazes/sealants/waxes, especially when talking about "pop," but also with the "orangeness" and "redness" of the paint itself. There are certain products designed specifically to bring out the "pop" of metallic paints, and other products that will not make it "pop" so much, but add more depth, color, and/or wetness.

F8LBITE

4xPerformanceParts
Established Member
01satinsilver said:
The satin silver has alot of flake in it too but its a tad darker(more gray). IMO (not that Im bias or anything) the Satin Silver was nicer than the Silver Metallic. I believe the 05+ GT's are satin silver again.
IMO (not that Im bias or anything) the Satin Silver looks dull next to a Silver Metallic. It still looks oK though

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
The wax, polish, etc. makes a huge difference. I detailed my car the other week and it look good, but when I wiped the whole car down with the Zaino detailing spray it looked lighter because it bought out the metallic flake more in the sunlight. I really love the Redfire Color. Totally different looking car at night compared to direct sunlight.

Users who are viewing this thread