interested in hitting the strip, budget drag setup questions

pacific4v

Established Member
Well I've owned my cobra for about 3 years but have never ran it down a drag strip. It seems like every summer I start some big project on it and don't get much time to hit the track. After I fix my intercooler piping and get it tuned I'm gonna focus on some budget drag suspension mods to get it ready for the track. For reference my car makes 515rwhp/505tq with a centri blower, but I expect over 600rwhp/550tq after its tuned again. If it makes much more I'll have him keep the timing down for now to limit it to around 600hp. My car also has a cobra spec t56, and a stock rear end with 4.30s(I have some 3.73s to put in it too). My current suspension set up is tokico blue shocks/struts, H&R race front springs, eibach pro kit rear springs. granatelli weight jacker lca, stock uppers, and no quadshocks.

My plan for now is to get some strange 10 way shocks and struts(fox body length), fox 4cyl springs in the front, and stock v8 rear springs, flsfc, tq box reinforcements, upper control arms, and remove the front sway bar. Sound like a good start? The car will be mostly street driven, only seeing track duty during the monthly 1/8 mile street car shootout and maybe a few 1/4 mile trips. Some other points to keep in mind is my car has the heavier iron block with no weight reduction, 18" rims(for now), and I like my car to sit low(really low). Will the ride height of the car affect weight transfer? Any other tips or tricks?

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
With 600 HP, all the suspension in the world won't matter if you don't put a tire under it. Might look for some cheap 15 or 16 inch rear wheels and put some slicks on it.

pacific4v

Established Member
With 600 HP, all the suspension in the world won't matter if you don't put a tire under it. Might look for some cheap 15 or 16 inch rear wheels and put some slicks on it.

Yea I plan on selling my Saleens and getting some 15x10" and 17x4.5" race stars with a good drag radial. How's street driving with a skinny front rim/tire?

bornatiger

Established Member
My girls 88 (boosted, forged 306, cams, vj heads) has bigs and littles. Its not too bad, just be careful at low speeds. In parking lots or turning from a stop the front end pushes like crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread