Interested in becoming a pilot in the United States Marine Corps - Step inside.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
I don't know much about the Marines, but I can add that my sister inlaws brother was a pilot for one of the air force one helicopters while Clinton was President.

Yea that would be known as Marine Helicopter Squadron 1. Or HMX-1. The helo that flies the President is known as Marine 1. Nothing to do with the Air Force. They have the H-3, and H-60 that actually flies the president. That is known as the White Side. Then you have the Green Side which flies CH-46s and CH-53s.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Great info for any perspectives. Father was a 46 pilot for 30+ years...Cunningham award winner in 1970. Much respect for the Marine Corps and aviators

Sweet, Marine aviator of the year, named after A.A. Cunningham the first Marine Avaitor and 5th overall Naval Aviator. Old Phrog's time is coming. They are gone on the East Coast (MCAS New River). The first west coast squadron HMM-161 is beginning their transition this month to the Osprey to be redesignated VMM-161. Transition will continue on the West Coast then on to the Phrog squadrons in Okinawa, and I believe finally with replacing the CH-53 Deltas in Hawaii. Phrog gave great service to its country in 4 wars, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Operation Enduring and Iraqi Freedom.

steeltoe

Established Member
Lol, I always hated when a butterbar/silverbar went out flying. I ALWAYS had something to fix when they landed. Of course they got better over time, but it was always a steep learning curve with the new pilots.

Hardlanding and overstress suck ass. I was sent TAD to VFA-106 E/Fside. Everyday one of them always did something stupid.

THE_STIG said:
I don't know what its been told
Air Force Wings are made of gold

I don't know what its been said
Navy wings are made of lead.
And yet the most advanced aircraft in our inventory has yet to have flown a single combat hour. Good job Air Force on wasting millions on an aircraft we can't fly because its to expensive.

steeltoe

Established Member
Sweet, Marine aviator of the year, named after A.A. Cunningham the first Marine Avaitor and 5th overall Naval Aviator. Old Phrog's time is coming. They are gone on the East Coast (MCAS New River). The first west coast squadron HMM-161 is beginning their transition this month to the Osprey to be redesignated VMM-161. Transition will continue on the West Coast then on to the Phrog squadrons in Okinawa, and I believe finally with replacing the CH-53 Deltas in Hawaii. Phrog gave great service to its country in 4 wars, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Operation Enduring and Iraqi Freedom.

The DON has definitly gotten there money out of the 46's and 53's. There getting to the point S-3B were at when they finally got taken out of service. They are just old and wore out.

Hey when is the Marines switch from F/A-18A to the F-35B.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
The DON has definitly gotten there money out of the 46's and 53's. There getting to the point S-3B were at when they finally got taken out of service. They are just old and wore out.

Hey when is the Marines switch from F/A-18A to the F-35B.

The Marines currently operate the F/A-18 C and D. There are some A+ out there as well. The have opened the pipeline for current Hornet and Harrier pilots to train and transition to the F-35. Marine Corps and well the government in general has a hard on for the JSF. The JSF is not operational by any means yet, but they have to start getting guys trained up to be future evaluators and instructors though. Much in the same way that they had to start training up guys for us skid kids in the 4 bladed Cobra and Hueys a few years ago. I'd say you will start seeing JSF's in the Marine Corps in the next 3-5 years. Its all speculation though. Any time you have a new airframe you will have set backs. The 4 blade Cobra Zulus are still pretty far off, while the four bladed Yankees are very much in the process of replacing the UH-1 Novembers. If you ask me, we should have at least bought the F/A-18 F to replace our F/A-18 Deltas just because of the mission set we ask them to do, I think you need that extra person in the cockpit.

THE_STIG

Established Member
And yet the most advanced aircraft in our inventory has yet to have flown a single combat hour. Good job Air Force on wasting millions on an aircraft we can't fly because its to expensive.

Don't look at me, I work on F-16s

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I really really wanted to get a ride in an Osprey while I was here but they took them out before I got a chance to. got the other stuff covered tho, well except for the cobra couldn't swing that deal either *sigh*.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
I really really wanted to get a ride in an Osprey while I was here but they took them out before I got a chance to. got the other stuff covered tho, well except for the cobra couldn't swing that deal either *sigh*.

Could get you in the Cobra simulator all day if you find your way by Camp Pendleton sometime. Probably not the aircraft though. People are always asking me for rides. Believe me I would if I could though.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Could get you in the Cobra simulator all day if you find your way by Camp Pendleton sometime. Probably not the aircraft though. People are always asking me for rides. Believe me I would if I could though.

That would be awesome ! When I was a kid around 10 as I recall we went to visit one of my uncles who was an Air Force fighter pilot. He took us into a hanger and I got to sit in the cockpit for a bit while he explained all the gauges. I don't remember what it was tho. it was pretty kewl just to get that close. We lived on Vandenberg AFB back then

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
That would be awesome ! When I was a kid around 10 as I recall we went to visit one of my uncles who was an Air Force fighter pilot. He took us into a hanger and I got to sit in the cockpit for a bit while he explained all the gauges. I don't remember what it was tho. it was pretty kewl just to get that close. We lived on Vandenberg AFB back then

Same here. My dad was an F-16 pilot. He took me to work when I was around 4 years old. From that day on, I always knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. But as stated before its always an open offer if you ever find your way around San Diego / Camp Pendleton area. I'll take you out on the flight line around the helos and could get you a ride in the simulator at least.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Same here. My dad was an F-16 pilot. He took me to work when I was around 4 years old. From that day on, I always knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. But as stated before its always an open offer if you ever find your way around San Diego / Camp Pendleton area. I'll take you out on the flight line around the helos and could get you a ride in the simulator at least.

I will have to see what I can do to get out there for a few days. Maybe schedule my flight for my next vacation to take the Asia route to Texas rather than the European route

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Marine Officer Candidate School.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn-CYv5USd8"]YouTube - Marine Corps OCS Officer Candidates School USMC[/ame]

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
The Basic School
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaqQ832CeT0"]YouTube - THE BASIC SCHOOL - PART 1[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MALaF5giVrE"]YouTube - THE BASIC SCHOOL - PART 2[/ame]

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Aviation Preflight Indoctrination (API)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brnE2C7DOqM"]YouTube - Navy API[/ame]

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Primary Flight Training
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gNIrxdTJE4"]YouTube - Navy Primary[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwSuWb2gMg"]YouTube - Making a PILOT Vol I (Pilot Training T34 with Aerobatics)[/ame]

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Advanced Training HELOs
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CkE-R-FJAc"]YouTube - Making a PILOT Vol II (Advanced Pilot Training T57 with sim)[/ame]

Advanced Training Jets
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pc67gE8Jzw"]YouTube - Boeing T-45 Goshawk Moto Video NAS Kingsville[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread