Interested in becoming a Florida State Trooper

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
I'm in the twilight of my career in the Navy(18+ yrs)..I've been stationed in Florida since 2000 & consider it home.
I would like to continue my service to the community after I leave the service.
My Navy career field isn't related to law enforcment, however..
Anyway. I would hope that someone here might be able to point me in the right direction before I contact a recruiter..I just want to make sure I approach this the right way & for the right reasons.
I also want to make sure my 'ducks are in a row' before I leave the Navy.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Thanks sir,
Now when you say "constantly hiring"..Is that a bad thing?
It would seem to imply so.

It is not a bad thing for those that want to work for FHP. FHP has a high attrition rate because of two main factors: (1) the pay is not as high as some of the county sheriff depts and local police depts; and (2) people like the title of "trooper" better than they like the work (almost all traffic and accidents).

juzlookzfazt

Established Member
Bump. I'd like to know how this has been going for you 9A Pilot considering that I too want to do FHP as a trooper. Any update?

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Bump. I'd like to know how this has been going for you 9A Pilot considering that I too want to do FHP as a trooper. Any update?

I just got my driver's license renewal form and on the back of the envelope there is an advertisement encouraging people to become FHP Troopers.

Why do you want to be a Trooper? What part of the job interests you?

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
I need to keep wearing a uniform. I also have an aviation safety background including mishap investigation. They are the 1st responders to crashes on the interstates & investigate any crash that results in a fatality. I need to have a job that has some genuine authorty associated with it. I don't want an 'average' ho-hum job like retail. I have developed certain skill sets that I'd like to build on. Finally, the world is full of sub-par drivers & I'd like to do my part to stop some of them.
I'm at the application phase. I'm waiting to get my multi page background app so I can get to work on it.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I need to keep wearing a uniform. I also have an aviation safety background including mishap investigation. They are the 1st responders to crashes on the interstates & investigate any crash that results in a fatality. I need to have a job that has some genuine authorty associated with it. I don't want an 'average' ho-hum job like retail. I have developed certain skill sets that I'd like to build on. Finally, the world is full of sub-par drivers & I'd like to do my part to stop some of them.
I'm at the application phase. I'm waiting to get my multi page background app so I can get to work on it.

Based on your background and interests, it would seem that FHP is a good fit for you. Realize that they pay the lowest of almost all L.E. agencies in the State. Their academy is tough too. Good Luck, I am sure you will do fine.

juzlookzfazt

Established Member
9A, did you have any objections before deciding? I want to do what FHP does but the pay doesn't seem like it will keep me afloat in a sane manner lol. I'm not sure I can justify 27-29k annually for the risk involved, though I do not mind the risk factor, it's the pay.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
9A, did you have any objections before deciding? I want to do what FHP does but the pay doesn't seem like it will keep me afloat in a sane manner lol. I'm not sure I can justify 27-29k annually for the risk involved, though I do not mind the risk factor, it's the pay.

Objections?
The biggest draw back is the understanding that you are at the needs of the State of Florida in regards to troop assignment.
I'll get to know Miami Dade alot better than I ever wanted to.
I'll have to find some other living arrangements while still maintaining my house in Jacksonville. It will be two years before I'm eligible to transfer to troop G. To see the drawbacks of one big aspect of the job, look no further than this forum about how pissed off people get when they meet a trooper in the normal performance of the required duties. Everybody loves LEO's until they're asking for their license & registration.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Objections?
The biggest draw back is the understanding that you are at the needs of the State of Florida in regards to troop assignment.
I'll get to know Miami Dade alot better than I ever wanted to.
I'll have to find some other living arrangements while still maintaining my house in Jacksonville. It will be two years before I'm eligible to transfer to troop G. To see the drawbacks of one big aspect of the job, look no further than this forum about how pissed off people get when they meet a trooper in the normal performance of the required duties. Everybody loves LEO's until they're asking for their license & registration.

You got it. Good Luck and enjoy the academy.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
CJBAT & PAT out of the way.
Standing by for the back ground check, polygraph,& psych eval.
Weight standards sent 10% home of the 40 or so that showed up this morning. None of the females made the cut.
The economy is doing wierd things to the usual ebb & flow of manpower requirements. Senior people who would have otherwise retired haven't, local agencies that normally draw from FHP guys that have met their commitments arent taking any new people, or just not as many..So It's a little tight right now. Academy slots also seem to shrink or grow relative to the price of gasoline. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I definintly need to have a plan B.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Why do you want to be a Trooper? What part of the job interests you?

They wear cool hats like Marine's drill instructor?
LOL, I have a lot of friends who went that route. If someone is NOT going to give you a warning it is likely a State Trooper. They seem a little harder than other officers in the traffic arena.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
i applied to that link you posted Adam several months ago and i still haven't heard anything back yet? :shrug:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
i applied to that link you posted Adam several months ago and i still haven't heard anything back yet? :shrug:

There is probably a contact e-mail or number you can use to follow up. Since you submitted online I am sure the asked for an e-mail address and they sent you a confirmation e-mail about receipt of your application, check the e-mail they sent you for contact info.

Users who are viewing this thread