Intercooler

deremer71

Established Member
Hello everybody. I was looking to get some advice on where to find an intercooler for my 01 bullitt? I recently put a vortech V1 on and want to add an intercooler as well. I heard cx racing is a good intercooler for a good price but after emailing them through ebay they said they don't carry one that fits the bullitt. So I was wondering what other ones are out there that are just as good for the price. Thanks.

Senator

Dude....Seriously?
Established Member
I have a Treadstone TR10 with my T-trim. Very nice piece.
Ambient temps have been pretty good in the Texas heat.

Do some Google searches on Treadstone, most people pick up 1-2lb of boost over the cxracing one. They are a tad more expensive though.

Bullitt3011

Established Member
Cx racing is the intercooler Im gonna buy for my bullitt, you just have to cut it and make it fit to the bullitt intake.. its not to hard

deremer71

Established Member
I forgot to mention this has to fit behind an 01 cobra bumper. And does the treadstone come with complete kits as far as all the piping and intercooler ready to bolt up?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
I forgot to mention this has to fit behind an 01 cobra bumper. And does the treadstone come with complete kits as far as all the piping and intercooler ready to bolt up?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

I had to cut some of the bumper to fit my treadstone. The treadstone is not the complete kit. Just the intercooler.

I'm not sure there is a "kit" for a vortech for and air to air intercooler. You'd have to piece the piping together yourself. Or buy a procharger intercooler kit and adapt a pipe or two to the vortech.

mystickb1996

Established Member
Just my thought for what's its worth. Instead of an intercooler run a meth kit. I'm not sure if your built but for a v1 it's a small blower and add an intercooler makes making boost that much harder. I have a v1 on a cobra with an aluminator and no intercooler with a aem duel aem meth kit I make 527whp on 13psi. And my iat's are lower then you would see from an ic... Before pull iat 130 during pull 80-85* and gives you the insurance of no knock because of high octane

deremer71

Established Member
Just my thought for what's its worth. Instead of an intercooler run a meth kit. I'm not sure if your built but for a v1 it's a small blower and add an intercooler makes making boost that much harder. I have a v1 on a cobra with an aluminator and no intercooler with a aem duel aem meth kit I make 527whp on 13psi. And my iat's are lower then you would see from an ic... Before pull iat 130 during pull 80-85* and gives you the insurance of no knock because of high octane

I've never went the meth route and haven't really read up on how to do it. Is it hard to set it up and how much does it cost ball park wise for complete set up? Sorry for the newb questions but I'm new to this as I stated above. O and my motor is not built by the way.

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
I've never went the meth route and haven't really read up on how to do it. Is it hard to set it up and how much does it cost ball park wise for complete set up? Sorry for the newb questions but I'm new to this as I stated above. O and my motor is not built by the way.

A meth kit is a viable option, it helps reduce detonation by lowering air temps. Check out snow performance. They have kits available of all different levels.

Flowgoode- i was afraid of that

It's not too hard. You'd just need to figure out what couplers and/or piping you'd need. You can get everything for piping from various sites. I've used Intercooler Pipe Fabrication - Silicone Intake Systems Auto Parts before and seem pretty reasonable with prices.

brandon_s0854

Established Member
I've got a Treadstone tr1045 behind an 03 cobra bumper that I've been happy with. Fit was snug, but didn't require any heavy modification.

Senator

Dude....Seriously?
Established Member
A lot of people have good results with meth kits. I've personally seen people have bad experiences also. Run out of meth on a drive or have a pump fail....goodbye headgaskets.
I'm not fond of them, but that is solely a personal opinion.

Here are some good threads I used to install my intercooler setup.
Do some research, intercooled centri setups are much more common than you'd think.

How To Install a Custom Intercooler on your 99-04 Mustnag GT
DIY Intercooler install write up?
Can I get some pics of Intercooler installs!

silverstang84

Established Member
A lot of people have good results with meth kits. I've personally seen people have bad experiences also. Run out of meth on a drive or have a pump fail....goodbye headgaskets.

Do some research, intercooled centri setups are much more common than you'd think.

Thanks for those write ups!

deremer71

Established Member

Yeah thanks for the help

Senator

Dude....Seriously?
Established Member
No problem fellas.

I decided to notch the bumper support instead of moving those cooler lines in front of the radiator. I did not want the intercooler exchanging temps.

Those are two ways of doing it. You could also get that chromoly bar they make. Be creative. Doesn't take a welder/master mechanic, just some tinkering.

The pipe routing might seen daunting, but it's just like a mini puzzle of lego blocks and kinda fun to get it routed the way you want. Don't try to plan it out too much beforehand, things change when you get the pipe around certain angles/parts of the car.
Get an intercooler, then a 3" piping kit from cxracing on ebay, and you'll have 90% of what you need. Maybe just a straight pipe or coupler here and there.

Here's a pic of my setup with the Treadstone:
1-cobrainter_zps704333d4.jpg

Last edited:

harvboi05

Established Member
i have the cx racing intercooler, 32x12x4 i believe it is; IATs are solid. be sure to get the 4" core. i had to cut the crash bar, but zero trimming on the bumper and kept the fog lights.

Users who are viewing this thread