intercooler?

ericburt

Established Member
Going the vortech route with a v-3 blower. The full kit is around 4 grand. I was wondering if these superchargers require an intercooler? Can it be ran safely without one? Any info would be appreciated.

99arboC

Established Member
How much boost do you plan on running? You do not have to have a intercooler if you are running low boost. I'm running 10 lbs without a intercooler, but if you can afford it then get the water meth or a aftercooler.

96S/Cobra

Established Member
Like has already been posted...

Do they require an intercooler? - Absolutely not.

Can they be run safely without an intercooler? They absolutely can. You can add an "aftercooler" or a "front mount intercooler" if you would would like, and assuming your pocket book would allow. You can also run alcohol/methanol injection to "chemically" cool the air charge, thus producing more power and keeping the engine safer. Cooler air inlet temps = more power and safer for the engine (detonation)

And like 99arboC has stated...how much boost are you planning to run? If your car is basically stock (as in non-forged internals) then keeping the boost to a low/moderate level will ensure the chances of your engine lasting (hopefully, of course there's no guarantee's). But it's all in the tune.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,T56,solid
Established Member
cxracing.com: 31x12x3 inch Universal Intercooler + 3" Piping Kit For MUSTANG 3000GT SRT-4

I mached up all the piping. Made my marks and had it welded. Bought the kit on Ebay for $249 shipped. I have had tons of compliments and it works amazing. Currently running 16psi and it works great.

2011-05-07_181625.jpg

2011-05-07_181854.jpg

2011-05-07_181721.jpg

ericburt

Established Member
Like has already been posted...

Do they require an intercooler? - Absolutely not.

Can they be run safely without an intercooler? They absolutely can. You can add an "aftercooler" or a "front mount intercooler" if you would would like, and assuming your pocket book would allow. You can also run alcohol/methanol injection to "chemically" cool the air charge, thus producing more power and keeping the engine safer. Cooler air inlet temps = more power and safer for the engine (detonation)

And like 99arboC has stated...how much boost are you planning to run? If your car is basically stock (as in non-forged internals) then keeping the boost to a low/moderate level will ensure the chances of your engine lasting (hopefully, of course there's no guarantee's). But it's all in the tune.

Thanks for the info, i don't plan on running high boost. What would be considered a safe amount of boost to run without an intercooler or meth.

99riodragon

Established Member
cxracing.com: 31x12x3 inch Universal Intercooler + 3" Piping Kit For MUSTANG 3000GT SRT-4

I mached up all the piping. Made my marks and had it welded. Bought the kit on Ebay for $249 shipped. I have had tons of compliments and it works amazing. Currently running 16psi and it works great.

2011-05-07_181625.jpg

2011-05-07_181854.jpg

2011-05-07_181721.jpg

you said you are running 16psi?how much of a loss in boost do you see with that intercooler.its been told to me that those intercoolers are not worth the time and money.im sure others would like your take on this also.as that is the same kit i was looking at.:beer:

99riodragon

Established Member
and just fyi, i was pointed in the direction of treadstone intercoolers.from the info i have found they seem to be awesome intercoolers with next to no drop in boost level.

96S/Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the info, i don't plan on running high boost. What would be considered a safe amount of boost to run without an intercooler or meth.

That's probably a matter of opinion. But just remember, the more boost you run the more heat is generated in compressing that air. I would probably say somewhere around 10 psi. or so is a good benchmark. Under 10 psi. I probably wouldn't worry too much about not having an ic or meth. But let's say 12, 15+, etc. psi and I sure would look into getting some sort of ic set up.

But if your car has non-forged internals I wouldn't be pushing anymore than 8-10 psi or so, so you should be just fine. And like I said earlier, it's all in the tune.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,T56,solid
Established Member
you said you are running 16psi?how much of a loss in boost do you see with that intercooler.its been told to me that those intercoolers are not worth the time and money.im sure others would like your take on this also.as that is the same kit i was looking at.:beer:

You usually see 2psi decrease from what I have seen. I have always ran an intercooler so I wouldnt know with my set up. And thats fine people can talk all the crap they want but this intercooler works just as good as any. I'll have 20+ psi numbers up soon for all the haters. The people that knock this set up are the ones that dont know how to make it work like i did. They just want to buy something that can be coupled together without any thinking.

DaBigBone

Established Member
I also made my own intercooler with the cxracing setup. I'm running 17psi and didn't really see much of a psi decrease at all. I think it all depends on your setup and how you route it.

CPRsm

For your app it would be fine. They aren't the best at cooling or for pressure drop. But for most get the job done. Others will certainly work better. Just depends on what you are willing to pay for the difference. Hard to beat for 2-250 bucks. At 10 psi it would be hard for you to see any gain with better.

Future 5.0

Established Member
Very ironic this topic comes up. I actually just received CXr core and pipe work to install my IC in the coming weeks. . . Currently playing with fire @ 14 psi non-IC, though tune myself and live on the wideband. Only real reason I'm getting away with it is ONLY running it under 50* ambient conditions.

Rule of thumb with Non IC setups:

X (ambient) + B ( boost) = IAT
With B = 10 to 13* (x) psi

So, say 50* night on my current setup:

50* + 14(10-13) = 190-232* IAT

Thus, this is very hot!!! Timing tables have to be respectful of the heat, hense weak street tunes. . . One hard run and you have yourself heat soak! Centrifugals with peak boost at shift aid the issue but roots/ twin screws would be wicked hot across the powerband. This is another area where cool running E85 is so glorious.

Planning to install, re-pulley with hope of ~15psi through the core, re tune and enjoy the cooler IAT!!!

Users who are viewing this thread