Intercooler? Water Pump?

mayer65

Lost
Established Member
Alright, I've come across a strange situation that has me baffled on my car. First it is a 2004 cobra covertable.

Only non stock items:
Tunable Induction CAI
Fluidyne heat exchange
bassani high flow cat x-pipe
borla exhaust

Now my reservoir for the intercooler is not holding water is the first thing. When empty I swear I hear the water pump squealing. I can not find a leak.
Then I put water into the reservoir and the squealing goes away, but if I try to accelerate even the slightest bit quickly it starts stuttering? umm, almost like some of the cylinders are missing. I lose all power until there is no water in the reservoir again. Then I get most of it back and the boost seems to work again.

The Mass Air Sensor was replaced last week thinking this was the problem.

I thank ya'll for any help in advance.

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Sorry to say but, you it sounds like you have a leaking intercooler
The water is going into your cylinders!

You'll need to pull the blower and replace/repair intercooler
You shouldn't run the engine until it's fixed and oil is changed...

Last edited:

mayer65

Lost
Established Member
If that were the case, wouldn't I find water in the oil?

Not that I doubt you, it was actually up there on my fear list. Sounds like a fun project when I get a day off. If that is it...any upgrades I should look at with it off?

95SC

Banned
Looks like your intercooler popped.Does it get cold where you live, freezing temp? There are few aftermarker units available but they're expensive and they aren't any better then a stock one.I have few used low mileage intercooles available if you're interested, I have one with less then 100 miles.

hotcobra03

Established Member
water

If that were the case, wouldn't I find water in the oil?

Not that I doubt you, it was actually up there on my fear list. Sounds like a fun project when I get a day off. If that is it...any upgrades I should look at with it off?

no water will not get into oil...water will leak into lower intake and than be sucked into exhaust....it could be just an o-ring leaking ..

intercooler is under blower,heat exchanger is in front of rad.

goodluck

mayer65

Lost
Established Member
Thanks again for the information.

So don't need an "upgrade" intercooler but while I have everything apart, any other mods/upgrades I should look at? Is there a gasket or something I might forget while doing it?

hotcobra03

Established Member
oil

It can definitely get into oil!

PCV hose runs from bottom of lower intake...

i could be wrong but the pcv line is a suction line..thats where the oil comes from when dripping out of the throttlebody....the elbow in the back is also a problem..

i had the o-rings go bad and steam blew out exhaust...

ive also had 2 h/e get leaks from rocks...

water pump is for engine cooling..

the sc has its own pump located under car in front of passenger front wheel

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
no, water will not get into oil...........I could be wrong

yep :p

:read: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/545841-well-my-car-down-count-long.html

IMG_5106.jpg

Last edited:

pb1302

Established Member
If you already have the blower off you might as well shell the coin to get the cooling mod done..... no easier time than when the engine is out or the blower is off..... this sounds like the coolant is getting into your intake..... there should definitely be some kind of white smoke coming out of your exhaust..... if you find that issue once you remove your blower.... you should most likely be looking into your cats as well.... water does not do that heated catalyst ANY good....

good luck and let us know what you find.... hope its just a simple fix....and careful with the blower gasket.... its super thin and you can bend it/ f it up easily...

mayer65

Lost
Established Member
Just an update for those of you that helped.

I pulled it all off and the intercooler was definitely cracked. (broke the last bolt off in process lol)

While it was off I installed the evenflow cooling mod.

I haven't put it back together yet...I'm contemplating trying a self port this weekend :) I'm home all alone and got lots of time. Just need the tools and the confidence.

Let ya know what what I go with.

Thanks again ya'll.

Users who are viewing this thread