Intercooler question

vortech1120

Established Member
Hey everyone I noticed lately that my intercooler reservoir continues to go bone dry after putting the gold mix in. So I did some research and found that my intercooler pump is toast. It's not making noise, vibration or no swirling in the reservoir. So I fill up the tank with water and it just sits in the tank, not losing any fluid, once again not swirling, but then I drive for 5 minutes and get into boost like 1 time. Came back and the reservoir was empty. The intercooler cap had no signs of spraying, previous owner said it got a new h/e recently, and I saw no obvious signs of leaking. But I have never felt hydro lock during startup or driving.

Is the pump turning on when I get it into boost and leaking thru the intercooler? If the pump is dead how am I losing all the fluid?

The car is bone stock, thanks guys happy easter.

Unfortunately brought to you by tapatalk

TDS-03

Established Member
The pump is wired/programed not to come on right away (unless you have had this adjusted in a custom tune). Need to verify its truly broken. If you search around here, you will find instructions on how to jumper the relay and force it to turn on. That will let you know if the pump is truly dead or not.

As to your coolant in the intercooler system...its going somewhere. If its not going out on the ground (outside leak) then my guess is your actual intercooler under the blower (as opposed to the heat exchanger in front of your radiator) is likely leaking into the intake. This is not good.

Start with the easy tests. Fill and run in place until fully warmed, like 5 - 10 mins. Maybe do a few 1500 to 2000 rpm throttle runs with the car just sitting. If you aren't seeing any water on the ground and you are still losing coolant, there is really only one place it could be going. If you are losing as much as you say in only 5 minutes then get this addressed quickly. Don't get into boost if you can avoid it until you get it fixed.

vortech1120

Established Member
Yup its leaking from the intercooler. It drained water as fast as I put it in the reservoir. Then white smoke and hydrolock, hopefully it didn't cause permanent damage. I'll be removing the blower tomorrow.

Unfortunately brought to you by Tapatalk

Anabolic

Banned
yup we need some updates, that sucks dude, When you say hydro lock whatd you suck coolant in the valvetrain via PCV? I JUST deleted my PCV, screw the oil/coolant issues.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Yup its leaking from the intercooler. It drained water as fast as I put it in the reservoir. Then white smoke and hydrolock, hopefully it didn't cause permanent damage. I'll be removing the blower tomorrow.

Unfortunately brought to you by Tapatalk

did you pull plugs and get out what you could,,and drain oil...

Users who are viewing this thread