Intercooler pump problems

mr.magic

Established Member
I have an odd issuse with my intercooler pump. It won't run on its own, I have the DIY jumper switch I can flip to make it run but otherwise nadda. I've replaced the relay so that's not it also the fuse in the engine bay box is good what else am I missing. I have a buddy with a cobra and in comparison mine flows a ton more than his when I jump it, not sure if that helps any just another note. I've also removed the jumper In hopes it might be interfering electrically but still nada.

Last edited:

mr.magic

Established Member
If it was the pump wouldn't it be *broke* all the time even when jumped. My thoughts are leaning towards a sensor somewhere.

Last edited:

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Whatever it is dont mess around or race the car if you know its not workiing properly! My motor went awhile back and I think my pump was a big factor...

If you get on it hard and shift do you ever notice a very small amount of coolant shooting onto your windshield of the passenger side?

If you wiggle/knock on the pump will it start flowing better?

I ran my car with months of it spraying stuff onto the windshield while doing the 3 - 4 shift... I found out later that thats a big sign your intercooler pump is messed up sigh

mr.magic

Established Member
check the harness and clean the connectors..had the same issue with mine and it fixed it..or just get a replacement :)

Did it and nadda. Done most all the general checks but coming up empty. Wiggles, bumps, cleanings, relays, fuses.

Whatever it is dont mess around or race the car if you know its not workiing properly! My motor went awhile back and I think my pump was a big factor...

If you get on it hard and shift do you ever notice a very small amount of coolant shooting onto your windshield of the passenger side?

If you wiggle/knock on the pump will it start flowing better?

I ran my car with months of it spraying stuff onto the windshield while doing the 3 - 4 shift... I found out later that thats a big sign your intercooler pump is messed up sigh

Nope, no fluid and where the hell was it coming from to get all the way back to the windshield lol. I'm not getting any flow at all without the jumper - wiggle, bump, smack, pissed off beatings has gotten me no where. It flows like a MoFo when i jump it but that's it. Do these pumps run when keyed on or does the car actually have to be running. Be nice if keyed on so i could hear if it started while wiggling rom under it.

summit racing 85 $ Bosch part #0 392 022 002

Thanks a ton! http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BCH-0392022002/ I usually order OEM parts through Tousley and they want $175. http://www.tousleyford.com/index.cfm?action=parts&subaction=partsform

Still looking for ideas though i dont see how a new pump is going to fix it. It runs great when you jump the relay seems like a sensor issue to me but you never know these days.

Last edited:

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Nope, no fluid and where the hell was it coming from to get all the way back to the windshield lol. I'm not getting any flow at all without the jumper - wiggle, bump, smack, pissed off beatings has gotten me no where. It flows like a MoFo when i jump it but that's it. Do these pumps run when keyed on or does the car actually have to be running. Be nice if keyed on so i could hear if it started while wiggling rom under it.

From my little understanding of how the system works it was due to pressure or lack there of (like I said just heard its a sign of pump being bad not sure exactly how it works) it was spraying out of the intercooler reservior cap area under heavy acceleration at high speeds. Due to me not having a hood blanket and the bottom part of the vents removed I can only imagine it was coming thru the hood vents.

I beleive the pump only comes on when the car is on.

When my pump was bad it would run sometimes and not others causeing my car to pull timing and initially helping lead to its demise :(

If you want to get really serious you can get one of those 7 or 8 gallon ones in the trunk with its own pump. Probably overkill though if you arent going to visit the track frequently.

Anyway hope you get it worked out.

Last edited:

mr.magic

Established Member
Yeah the trunk tanks are way overkill in my book lol. Iced a friend of mines and he was coming back from runs with water temps in the low 50's after staging lanes and pulls as measured by my gun. I'd imagine during the pull it would still be in the upper 30's.

flamedstang95

Gettin' Dirty
Established Member
Did it and nadda. Done most all the general checks but coming up empty. Wiggles, bumps, cleanings, relays, fuses.

Thanks a ton! Bosch Automotive 0392022002 - Bosch Intercooler Water Pumps - Overview - SummitRacing.com I usually order OEM parts through Tousley and they want $175. Tousley Ford

Still looking for ideas though i dont see how a new pump is going to fix it. It runs great when you jump the relay seems like a sensor issue to me but you never know these days.

Be a good idea to call and talk to Steve@Tousley. I just ordered my IC pump from him for 97.50 shipped to my door..about 2 weeks ago.

mr.magic

Established Member
I'll do that soon as Im confidentish that's the problem. Is there not a temp sensor that tells when to turn the pump on? I know it can be changed in a tune so what makes it *go*?

big dad

Established Member
I'll take a stab at your problem. There are 4 terminals at the relay. One should be hot at all times, two is the feed to the IC pump, three is the ground circuit for the relay from the PCM, and four is the power for the relay coil with the key on.
Remove the relay, and with a test light you should have power at one of the terminals, now turn the key on, and there should be power at an additional terminal. If you don't have power at the additional terminal check the fuses, especially at the power distribution box under the hood on the drivers side.
My guess is the fuse for the relay blew. It's quite possible that it was weak, or that the IC pump is pulling to many amps through the relay.
The fact that you can jumper the terminals tells me that the main feed for the IC pump is good.
You can use a 12V test light to check for power as described. Let us know what you find, and we'll go from there.

RichM1983

Established Member
I have the exact same problem!!!

I let the car warm up and did a small drive and then got back home and pulled the IC reservoir cap and didn't see any water movement. I thought that was odd so I did some searching online and found out how to jump the relay box. When I do that the pump runs and moves the water very well.

So can I assume my problem is the same because when I jump it it runs great but on its own it just doesn't seem to kick on?

Can I get the relay at Advance or Napa?

Thanks guys!

FatBuoy

Hey all. New to the forum, but don't have an SVT. Used to! I have an 07 Jeep Wrangler with a magnuson supercharged 6.1 Hemi. I ran across this thread because I was searching for Bosch intercooler pump issues, so am hoping someone may have a quick answer for my issue. The pump quit circulating fluid. It's working, as in it spins, but no fluid movement. So, I bought a new one. Same thing. I've taken it out, and put a hose in water, and it doesn't draw water. I've tried leaving it hooked to the coolant reservoir and simply tried to let it pump though the heat exchanger, in case there was a block in the intercooler-nothing. Am I missing something here? What is the best way to test these things? I'm trying to use logic, but I can't think of why it would spin, but not pump. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread