intercooler pump problem

rw93cobra

Established Member
I have a 01 cobra with a 03 engine swap. Anyways last night my car seemed like it lacked some power on the highway. I checked it out and noticed the intercooler pump was running but there was no flow to the reservoir. I headed home while monitoring iat2 temps and the temps started dropping. I pulled over and saw that there was fluid getting pumped into the reservoir now.

When I got home I pulled the bumper off and verified that it had 12v going to the pump. I drove it alittle more last night and even to work today and it seems to be working fine. I did some searching and found some threads about air bubbles in the system but its been together for 2-3,000 miles now with no problems so I was kinda leaning towards a bad pump :shrug:. I talked to my friend that I bought the car off of and who built it, and he said that it was a low mileage pump and that when it was tuned, they put a jumper harness in to run the pump all the time when the key is on.

I'm planning on taking the car to Ocean City tomorrow(4hr trip) for the Endless Summer Cruise but I'd like to get this taken care of first. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
For a quick fix, crawl under the front bumper on the passenger side and find the I/C pump. Unplug/replug the connector several times to try and clean off any built up corrosion. I did this maybe two or three times in a several month period and the pump continued to work great. I eventually replaced it, but this method would fire it up everytime.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Another quick fix is to rap on the pump with a rubber mallet

sometimes the magnetic drive gets stuck

Some have had luck taking it apart and cleaning the crap out of the impeller housing

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
another tip is disconect the top hose coming from the pump to the resevoir and blow in it, has always work for me when i take it of and put back in to take the air bubbles

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I use a turkey baster jammed into bottom of reservoir.

Let it get sucked full of coolant and then force it down the hose.

ctubbs

Established Member
another tip is disconect the top hose coming from the pump to the resevoir and blow in it, has always work for me when i take it of and put back in to take the air bubbles

I did the same thing, except i took off the top hose on the resevoir coming from the intercooler and blew into it to prime my pump after my blower swap. If there is any air in the system you will see it bubble in the resevoir. My pump has worked perfectly since then. Good luck

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I use a turkey baster jammed into bottom of reservoir.

Let it get sucked full of coolant and then force it down the hose.

Nice. That's better than my method for priming. Mmmmmm, coolant...

Users who are viewing this thread