Intercooler pump logic?

Snoopy49

Established Member
This may work, someone with more experience should chime in if they see a problem.
SPDT = Single pole double throw toggle switch.

Charge Air Cooler Pump Wiring Diagram 2.jpg

Dinosgt

Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback gents. I went ahead and ran some tests today to see if running the pump all the time would help a street ride.

Here's what I found:

Before the motor warms up, the IAT2s stay pretty low. I was running about 65 degrees Inlet, and about 85 IAT2s. I was thrilled - BUT, as the motor started to reach operating temps, I was seeing about 100 IAT2. Still ok... Prior testing, with the pumps running normally, the IAT2s would rise much quicker, and would stay around 103-106.

But then the insane Socal traffic came up. Between incessant stop lights and slow moving traffic, the motor started to heat soak, and temps climbed into the 125-135 IAT2 range. Once up and running at highway speeds, the IATs would dip similar to pre testing, but would go down to about 99-102 IAT2, vs 103-109 with the pump cutting in and out.

Short story - the car needs fans to avoid heat soak. Once heat soak sets in, its tough to recover. I think having the pumps run all the time, along with fans, is about the best you can do (barring the chiiler-killer or something more dramatic)

My two cents...FWIW:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread