Intercooler Pump issues

Sielmo

Established Member
Installed the AFCO HE a few months back and had issues with my intercooler pump no pumping. The fans work fine as advertised. I finally got the IC pump working only after I ordered a new one. I installed the new pump anyways and had same issue until I squeezed the hoses (burping) and it ran like a champ. Now it isn't working again and no amount of "burping" seems to solve the issue. I checked the connector to the pump and I have current.

I am out of ideas. Do these pumps have a history of frequently failing? This one is 3 months old.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Well, my IC pump took a direct hit from a GTR that crashed into me last year at the track. Bought a donor with questionable mileage on it. Swapped out the broken parts and its still running to the this day very nicely.

Make sure you have continuity to ground (ohm from connector terminal to known good ground, battery neg is best) in the IC connector when the fans are on. Verify available voltage using the connector ground assuming ground tested ok.

Last edited:

Sielmo

Established Member
Well, my IC pump took a direct hit from a GTR that crashed into me last year at the track. Bought a donor with questionable mileage on it. Swapped out the broken parts and its still running to the this day very nicely.

Make sure you have continuity to ground (ohm from connector terminal to know good ground, battery neg is best) in the IC connector when the fans are on. Verify available voltage using the connector ground assuming ground tested ok.

Thanks for the advice and after checking, I had a good connection. Bottom line, my IC needed a good burping.

I made a jumper cable and could hear the IC pump running. I didnt realize how quiet this pump is which is why I couldn't hear it with the car running. After I removed the front end, I was able to access more of the IC tubing and could really squeeze them and a result, heard the air finally move out of the IC and the pump started moving the fluid again. So how did I get air trapped in the IC weeks later? I discovered a loose clamp (only finger tight) on the outlet side which was allowing air to gradually suck in. If it was a loose clamp on the inlet side, I'd have seen the fluid on the ground. Stupid oversight as I double check my connections...lesson learned without incident.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Glad you found it. Had my bumper off last night ironically enough. The tech in me still inspects everything even though I know Ive got no issues with it haha.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
That's one great advantage of being a Tech... using your own lift after work to work on YOUR car.

Users who are viewing this thread