intercooler pump install questions

SonicBeast

Established Member
so my pump went out and i found a great link for a how to on cleaning it out and reinstalling it but i have a few ?s to get answered before i start. first off heres the link to the howto thread.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/702347-intercooler-pump-cleaning-how.html

this looks pretty straight forward except i dont know what the jumper wire is. where do u get one?? also wondering what you use as a power source to run the pump with it? last question i beleive is once i get a wire and hook it up and run it to refill the system am i just filling the tank slowly while it runs? i want to do this right so i dont get any air in the system. hopefully u guys can chime in so i can get this done tonight or tmrw

1. Save yourself the time and just buy a replacement pump. I've cleaned mine before and it doesn't pump that much stronger or last that much longer after a cleaning. New pump is the way to go.

2. You don't need to set up the jumper wire to refill and burp the system. Refill nice and slow through the IC tank, after installing your pump, and then start the car up. Be ready to get out the driver's seat quickly to add some more coolant/water to the tank as when the pump gets going the level is going to decrease slowly.

3. The only time I've ever had an air bubble in there was when I refilled the system quickly. And when that occurred, I just wrapped a towel around the lip of the IV tank and put my mouth in the opening of the tank and just started blowing inot it as hard as I could until the pump started pumping. You won't have to do that though if you refill nice and slow. You'll do fine.

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
1. Save yourself the time and just buy a replacement pump. I've cleaned mine before and it doesn't pump that much stronger or last that much longer after a cleaning. New pump is the way to go.

2. You don't need to set up the jumper wire to refill and burp the system. Refill nice and slow through the IC tank, after installing your pump, and then start the car up. Be ready to get out the driver's seat quickly to add some more coolant/water to the tank as when the pump gets going the level is going to decrease slowly.

3. The only time I've ever had an air bubble in there was when I refilled the system quickly. And when that occurred, I just wrapped a towel around the lip of the IV tank and put my mouth in the opening of the tank and just started blowing inot it as hard as I could until the pump started pumping. You won't have to do that though if you refill nice and slow. You'll do fine.

x2. Buy a new pump from Tousley. I wasted 1-2 hours doing this "temporary fix" only to have my pump fully crap out the morning I was taking the car to get tuned. Screwed my day, to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread