Intercooler Problem

SVT Keith

Established Member
For the past couple months I've noticed that I have been down on power. I always thought it was just in my tune or something, and didn't think much of it. Well, at the track the other day, I jumped my Intercooler pump, and noticed that it wasnt flowing very fast. I watched my friends pump, and it seemed to be putting out 4x as much as mine. Also, I've noticed my I/C fluid overheating and leaking out of the cap, which in turn gets blown onto my windshield while driving. So, I knew I had a problem..

I drained and filled the system several times, primed it per the directions, and I still get the same result. I've pulled a couple hoses from different parts of the I/C system, looking for a point where it might be flowing slowly. Every part of the system flows great.. up until the part where it goes into the intercooler (under the blower). I pulled the input hose to the intercooler, and it flows fine. But, the output hose, which flows from the intercooler back into the reservoir is SLOW.

So, I have come to the conclusion that either 1.) My pump is going bad and has a hard time pushing the water through the intercooler or 2.) There is something lodged in the intercooler itself, which is blocking flow.

Help! I'm about to just put everything back to stock and sell this damned thing. ;\

Edit: My IAT2 temps have been high, so I know there is a problem with the system's efficiency, which causes the ECU to pull timing.

I have a KB on the car, so the intercooler has been off of the car before, but never dropped or damaged.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread